• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bearhugger

Does MinGW support the C++0x libraries?

This topic is 2572 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Was using Visual Studio 2010 but I'm sick of waiting for a C++ refactor tool or an IDE integrated C++ unit test framework (that doesn't only work in C++/CLI), and they're not even in the VS2012 preview so I made the jump to Eclipse with CDT and MinGW as a compiler and it worked awesomely for editing code. Problem is that I can't seem to be able to access the new libraries that used to work fine with Visual Studio 2010. For example, the <random> header file exists but a bunch of #ifdef macros exclude the whole file.

The C++0x features implemented in G++ (lambdas, auto, etc.) all work fine, it's just the libraries that look inaccessible.

Are those libraries actually implemented for MinGW? Am I just missing an option in the g++ command line? (I'm using std=c++0x, is there another one?) Help!

Advertisement
Refactoring(and much more) is available in VS2010 via Visual Assist(pluggin).

Can't help you with eclipse, I'm waiting for Clang to support lambda's before I give that a shot.

Well, MinGW is really just a port of GCC, so you are really using that. I suggest MinGW-w64, specifically this distribution http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/. It supports compiling 64-bit binaries.

It's a much better compiler than Visual Studio IMO. It does support C++11, much more than VS2010, who's C++0x support is actually quite pathetic. All you have to do to enable support for it in GCC is use the -std=c++0x option when compiling.

Unfortunately, Visual Assist does not seem to be free, and I don't really feel like shipping 120$ for it when when Eclipse provides everything it has that I need for free. (And pirating it is out of the question for me.)

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try that compiler distribution and see if it unblocks the new libraries.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try that compiler distribution and see if it unblocks the new libraries.[/quote]

Nothing is being blocked. Either you didn't add -std=c++0x to the compile options correctly, or you got an outdated version of GCC.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!