Please introduce me some good books of computer graphics

Started by
5 comments, last by xujiezhige 12 years, 4 months ago
I have read some books, such as Tricks of 3d game programming gurus. So I know some, but I want more knowledge to let me fully understand 3d game programming.
Now I am reading Real-time Rendering. However, I find it's some difficult for me.

Shall I continue to read it, or replace it with other book?
Advertisement
Hi Jeason,

"Real Time Rendering" is an excellent book! Stick with it!

It certainly helped me a lot in understanding how 3D graphics work. However, I already had a solid math background before I found it, so things like quaternions or transformation matrices where nothing new for me.

If you have trouble understanding everything, I'd suggest that you review the chapters about the mathematical background (that are in the book, IIRC) until you understand everything in these chapters. If these are to hard, google for tutorials on the mathematical topics or try to find books that fit your level of comprehension (perhaps an advanced math school book?).

And I'd like to encourage you to try and implement some of these math things in the programming language of you choice. Nothing lets you understand a problem better than that! And as a bonus, you will also get some kind of math toolkit along the way, which will come in handy later on!

And if all else fails, ask here! If you can ask a specific question, I'm sure all the kind people in this forum are more than willing to help you!

Regards,

Tilmann

Hi Jeason,

"Real Time Rendering" is an excellent book! Stick with it!

It certainly helped me a lot in understanding how 3D graphics work. However, I already had a solid math background before I found it, so things like quaternions or transformation matrices where nothing new for me.

If you have trouble understanding everything, I'd suggest that you review the chapters about the mathematical background (that are in the book, IIRC) until you understand everything in these chapters. If these are to hard, google for tutorials on the mathematical topics or try to find books that fit your level of comprehension (perhaps an advanced math school book?).

And I'd like to encourage you to try and implement some of these math things in the programming language of you choice. Nothing lets you understand a problem better than that! And as a bonus, you will also get some kind of math toolkit along the way, which will come in handy later on!

And if all else fails, ask here! If you can ask a specific question, I'm sure all the kind people in this forum are more than willing to help you!

Regards,

Tilmann

Hi sgt_barnes. Thank you very much!

I thought nobody would reply. You are right, I have decided to continue to read it. The math isn't the most difficult thing, but the ability of comprehending the english sentences. Because I'm a chinese, my english isn't good. But I'm try my best to learn it.

There is still a question disturbing me. That is how I can implement the schemes or topics in programming. And I find some methods aren't elobrated in detail, such as defered shading. I just know the method, but I don't know how to implement.

How should I do in order to implement what I learn?
If you want a good answer you should go into the

Graphics Programming and Theory
section of the forum.

Otherwise get:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Game-Programming-Direct-9-0c/dp/1598220160/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

If you want a good answer you should go into the

Graphics Programming and Theory
section of the forum.

Otherwise get:
http://www.amazon.co...ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

Thank you, allingm!

I have read <Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX9.0> and finish all demos. Is the book you suggest fit me?

And I will often go to Graphics Programming and Theory to learn.
My personal belief in this matter is that no matter the subject, technical-related books (especially anything computer related) go out of date too quickly to be of much use. Maybe a general mathematics book, but anything pertaining to computers is pretty much out of date the moment it is published.

You do have to take extra care in what sources you use on the internet, but at the very least you are guaranteed to find up to date information for the cost of your internet connection. I haven't bought a computer-related book in years.
Thank you, MarkS.

I am a novice of 3d game programming. So I even don't know some common technologies, let alone the latest ones.
I just want some books introducing some common knowledge related to compute graphics.
Now I'm feeling better after read some chapters of Real-time Rending.

Can you tell me your way of learning?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement