PROJECT BLEACH ((MMORPG)).

Started by
22 comments, last by LucasDaltro 12 years, 4 months ago
Please read this carefully, don't waste the time I put into this post.

Stop. Think before you run out into the road. You are obsessing about this project. You are deluded.

It's natural, though. A lot of programmers are driven to make an MMO when they are new to the games industry. Dammit, I still am. Guess that means I'm still new. But I like to think my viewpoint is slightly more realistic.

There are people here in this forum who have worked on major game titles. Some of them are more creative, more intelligent. They have years of experience thinking the same thoughts as you, and being just as driven. Don't just throw away their advice, they have been where you are and can look back and see all the wasted motivation.

To see the sort of scale the project you're working on, read the credits for WoW. Go on, read them. Yes, 10-20 minutes of different names sliding rapidly up the screen. Many different roles. A lot of these people worked full time for the years it took to make the game. Consider what sort of money it would take to pay their wages. No, you can't. No single person can imagine it. This was funded by a company which already had years of experience making games.

If you go ahead with this project, you will be fighting for several months, then eventually lose interest or crash and burn, seriously demoralised. Your task is impossible. Probability of completion is a nice round 0. Just don't do it.

Oh and you probably won't get permission from the Bleach guys anyway. If you just publish your work regardless you can find yourself in an actual jail cell, with a solid door. Or your parents will be mad at having to pay thousands or tens of thousands in damages.

Apologies for being blunt, direct, and patronising, hopefully you'll get the point.
Advertisement
I would argue though that with the right sort of motivation, with years of hard (but sometimes enjoyable) work, you can become a valuable, experienced individual and work as part of a team on game projects, maybe even an MMO. Yes, when it comes to very small projects, just do it. If you fail, you've still learned something.
First post \o/ hi guys.

Just had to register to tell you that you have no idea what you want to do and how you'll have to do to make it real. You didnt even write your first "Hello World" and want already to program a MMO..

You have to start from the very basics like everyone else did, and it will take many years of study and dedication just to get to the point of beeing able to consider realistically about starting a project like a MMO.
Use Hero Engine to do your project.It has a great documentation is very easy to work with.It has a nice scripting language and I'm sure you can build your MMO easily than write everything from scratch.
http://www.heroengine.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement