Wiimote sensitivity

Started by
1 comment, last by DavidNysten 12 years, 4 months ago
Hi everybody,

I've a question regarding mousecontrol via the wii remote (infrared - using the sensorbar). The problem is that - even with the sensitivity level set to the lowest value - it's still a little too sensitive to use.

Is there a way to solve this issue? I think working with a threshold (to filter out small movements) will result in a problem because if you move the wiimote slowly up/down/left/right it will also stay below the threshold.

I'm using the wiimote to look around in a 3D environment (Created with JOGL. I use WiiUseJ to be able to use the wii remote.), that's why the sensitivity is rather annoying as the screen shakes a bit, even if you hold the remote still.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Dave
Advertisement
I'm not sure that IR sensitivity is your problem... Usually that results in huge random jumps of your cursor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling you're dealing with more of a shaky hand causing continuous, small jittering?

If you have a "noisy" position for your cursor when trying to hold it steady (i.e. small, continuous jittering), you could try averaging the position measured during the previous 3 or 4 controller samples. I can't remember the sampling rate off the top of my head, but I think the Wiimote updates IR positions at between 100 and 200 samples per second. Averaging 3 frames @ 100 Hz would give you an effective 30fps sample rate... I don't think anyone would notice the lag. Of course, depending on the situation, you could increase the averaging window and trade some user-noticeable latency for smoothness.

Also, you might want to check that you're not scaling up your pointer's screen coordinates, since that will magnify any shakiness in the user's hand.

Finally, you can give your camera a "dead zone" in the center of the screen, so that the view only rotates when the pointer gets some radius away from the center. That will prevent a little mouse shakiness from converting to a lot of whole-screen shakiness.

Good luck,
-sox
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. That is indeed the problem I'm having. I'll try out those solutions, thanks a lot for your help, very much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Dave

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement