• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MatthewDiaz

3D Schump(Shoot em up) possible?

This topic is 2564 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is this possible and has it been done before? Understand I am talking about a game that takes the 2d shoot em up and its twitch game play and brings it into the 3d realm. Also understand that games like StarFox doesn't fit the description in my opinion. Schumps have very hectic twitch gameplay with tens and sometimes hundreds of bullets on the screen to dodge. It's clear that would only work from a on rails perspective and that figuring out how to allow the player to have such precise control to avoid a bullet by inches would be a challenge.

Advertisement
I dunno the possibilities are endless, just use your imagination.

2d can still be good these days, just the sprites have to be upped a notch in quality if you want to sell it.

Aren't "rail shooters", e.g. Rez , basically 3D shmups?

To do it not on rails and to conform to shmup genre conventions would be challenging. You'd have to make the enemy ai such that the enemies would spontaneously flock around the player and attack in geometric formations.

Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn:

[media]
[/media]

Ikaruga on the Dreamcast:

[media]
[/media]

I've seen a couple of game like that on the iPhone but I don't remember their names.

Well, things like Ikaruga are essentially 2D but use 3D models for the art. I assumed the OP was talking about a game in which the player's ship is flying into the screen rather than up, if you know what I mean. I've thought about this and think that a true 3D shmup could basically be constrained to a tunnel, even if the tunnel isn't visible, in which the player can only travel forward i.e. traditional 2D overhead view games essentially are constrained to a 2D tunnel like this.

Well, things like Ikaruga are essentially 2D but use 3D models for the art. I assumed the OP was talking about a game in which the player's ship is flying into the screen rather than up, if you know what I mean. I've thought about this and think that a true 3D shmup could basically be constrained to a tunnel, even if the tunnel isn't visible, in which the player can only travel forward i.e. traditional 2D overhead view games essentially are constrained to a 2D tunnel like this.

Yeah that's what i was thinking. It would have to be that way for it to work. The reason I feel this subject is so important is for one schumps aren't really made that much anymore and second it has the player learn a skill you really can't find much in 3D games. There is a big feeling of accomplishment when you can dodge 100 bullets on the screen like a pro. It would be nice if we could experience the same thing in 3D.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!