• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
janix2011

Sprite-based RPG game design

This topic is 2572 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to start off by giving you all some insight on who I am and where I am coming from. I am currently in college working on a degree in Mobile Development. I haven't actually started taking the core mobile classes as of yet, but I am currently taking a html/css class and a graphic design class. Everything seems to be moving along well and I have a good grasp on basic html and css formatting as well as Photoshop and Illustrator. I have been a gamer since I was four, and I am 27 now. I am just fascinated at how gaming has progressed over the years, but my absolute favorite time was in the years of the SNES. The rpgs available on that system put every other console to shame imo. I have been playing Final Fantasy 2/3, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Lufia 1/2, etc for years and they never get old. Nowadays everything seems to be about graphics and how pretty we can make things. Playability and content have taken a backseat it seems. This leads me to the reason for this topic.

Seeing as I am working toward a Mobile Development degree and how much I love those old rpgs; I would like to turn this combo into my own modern sprite-based rpg. Now I know that there are rpg maker programs out there and trust me I have messed around with them a bit, but they are too limited and proprietary as far as I know.

I am just in the planning stages right now seeing as I have limited knowledge of HTML5's canvas element and javascript. But, I am very serious about this endeavor and would like to get as much planned out as possible before the time comes when I actually have the ability to create this game. There is just so much to think about and I could use some feedback on the subject. I can pretty much create the game on paper over the next few months; story, characters, etc. I just would like your thoughts on the process of creation and how I should go about the distribution when it is finally done. I would like to be in the Apple and Android app stores as well as on Steam and my own personal website.

tldr: I am hoping to create a sprit-based rpg with HTML5 and Javascript and could use some input.

Advertisement
I wrote my interactive comic in HTML5/Javascript. (http://wrecksector.com). While it's not really an RPG, it has sprites, animations, user input, sound effects. You're more than welcome to look at the source code for inspiration.

I don't know how I would do any kind of fancy distribution through an app store, since my comic is just on a website. Maybe someone else can assist with that question!

I wish you luck and hope you have some success. How much progress have you made toward your goal?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!