• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
techguitar

Book for game programming

This topic is 2566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey

I have a month long break from university and I plan to start on game programming. (I have only programmed a 'hangman' game in python before.)

Please suggest me a book that I can refer to start game programming because I have no clue where to pick up from.
I have experience in Python 2.7 and Turbo C++.
Looking forward to working with C# (no experience with it though)

Your advise will be appreciated :)

Advertisement
Alright, from reading that I am making the assumption you are going to learn C#? If that's the case, My C# recommendations are here. Basically learn the language first and then game programming after. In that link is a um another link to an e-book by Rob Miles. It attempts to teach C# and game programming at the same time. If it succeeds or not is another matter, but it's free so there isn't much to loose by looking.

Truth is, most game programming books are either outdated, awful, or awful and outdated. Generally what you need to do is decide the technology you want to learn. Then what you are doing is basically a) learning a language such as C# then based on the language, you b) pick a tech like XNA, OpenGL, DirectX, SFML, etc... which determine what books you need at that point, if any. If you scroll down, there are links to the various library options aswell.

Take a look at the video tutorials for the Hyperion Text adventure Game at 3DBuzz.com. It's built using C# and it's free.
Also, you might want to take a look at their Unity game development videos. They use C# for the scripting.

You'll have to register before you can view the videos.

They have a ton of free videos but it's a membership site so the bulk of their videos are members only.
All their tutorials, regardless of which technology their using, are geared toward game development and lot of the coding is usually done in C#.

Hope that helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!