I spent high school in front of my computer

Started by
60 comments, last by swiftcoder 12 years, 3 months ago
I'm very disproportionately upset by advice in another thread:

[quote name='wiz3kid' timestamp='1322634879' post='4888989']
[quote name='swiftcoder' timestamp='1322634592' post='4888987']
... and go do all the usual highschool things - sports, girlfriends, etc. You'll only regret it later if you don't.

Regret? Why regret?[/quote]
Because you are only young once.

In a couple of years, you won't have half the time and energy you do now, to tryout a new sport, chase after that redhead, learn to fix motorcycles... But you will always have time to learn esoteric programming languages, because it's the kind of thing you can squeeze into half-hour breaks between class, work, and so-forth.
[/quote]
Regret? Regret?! You know, somehow I don't regret doing the same exact stereotypical garbage everyone else supposedly spends their time with in school. I don't regret having a solid five year head-start on my peers when I got to university. And I certainly don't regret that I had a resume that involved me doing stuff and building products; somehow skirt-chasing doesn't quite set you up for the future.

To be honest, I resent the implication that 'sports' and 'girlfriends' are the normal high school pursuits and everything else is squandering your youth. I also dislike the suggestion that you should strive to be normal, or that only doing fun things during high school is the right choice. It strikes me as an incredibly shallow and short-sighted bit of advice. I don't have anything against sports, really -- fitness is good, and sports can be a big door opener if you're serious. But I have a huge problem with telling our younger audience, hey, spend your time on frivolous stuff and come back when you're older. That's not right.

A bit farther down, swiftcoder does clarify the advice, but that's not at all how the original statements read. I felt it was worth bringing up as a separate discussion, because the advice as written exasperated me so badly. I'm coming up on 25 years old now; not old at all, but enough to have gained some perspective on my high school and college years. Of all my regrets from all those years, my involvement with computers and programming certainly never rates as anything other than a huge positive. It got me everything I have today in no small measure. There are threads here periodically asking 'am I too young?' or something along those lines. The way I see it, doing is the single most important force we have, and you're almost never too young to start doing what you are passionate about.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
I'm not going to try and get into this too much, but I'd just like to note that "doing fun things" to some is "sitting behind a computer and learning how to script, program, model, etc."
The quoted user seems to imply that chasing after girls and playing sports is the definite, static description of "fun". Plus, the "usual highschool things" seems like it could vary wildly depending on who you're talking about.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

It's all about balance. I had a ton of fun partying and hanging out with friends on the weekend while I was in high school. I had time to program on weeknights, plus I had a wicked c++ teacher in high school so I got to build up my programming skills while in class as well. I would completely regret if I had of missed out on all those fun times though. There's so much more to life than just computers, you have to go out and enjoy it! What better time than to do it than when you're young?
The problem that keeps coming up here is everyone thinks they are always right. I would have said the same thing. What is your gripe with not having fun in the real world and meeting people? Sitting in front of a computer is 1 thing to do. If that is all you want in life, then that is boring. I partied, played several live shows in band, recorded other bands, was a well known skateboarder, hung out with drug dealers, had a g/f, job, and still at the time of attending digipen, was miles ahead of everyone. If you never had fun in high school and weren't social, then you wouldn't understand. I had so much fun and so much time to do whatever I wanted, I learned a lot more things than just programming though. Once you are older you have time for maybe 1 thing, while working 9-5. When you are young you have the time to learn a lot more, meet a lot of people, and shouldn't be burnt out.

Your point of view looks strictly like he said: "You should be a jock for a while." No he said you have so much time on your hands that you can do a bunch of things. You never had your dad yell at you "Quit playing videogames and go outside." ? There is a thing called tiger moms where they don't let their kids have fun, even at young ages. Sometimes you gotta just go out and have fun instead of worrying about the exact details of your future. College and studying will get him to his future. Studying in HS is just an added bonus, but should not be full-time stressed out. Why in HS should you worry about being the best programmer when you are just going to work for someone else anyway. HS should be about YOU.

The fact that you made a thread about it, is still your opinion. What makes you think other people don't believe that advice? I did not read the original thread. It really just sounds like you didn't do a whole lot in HS. I've met some people that are afraid to even smoke one cigarette just for the hell of it, because they are so afraid and isolated.

The thing is by your thread title you only did 1 thing, sit in front of your computer. I did that too, but I also did so much more. So your opinion is biased because you only know of 1 small world. It is all opinion at the end of the day.Starting a stupid opinion (non factual) fight with another long term member on here does no good. His post also got 8 thumbs up.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

My mother will to this day say I learned to read by copying computer programs in BASIC in our TRS-80 Color Computer 2 when I was 4 (am now 31 at the time of this post). I was teaching my teachers how to use computers long before they were standard in any classrooms. So I grew up in front of one, graduated with a programming degree. Most of my work involve computers and programming, and I managed to find a wife (who is definately not into computers the way I am, but somehow still loves me) through a computer (e-harmoney). Buddies of mine through high school (and earlier) and college still get together for lan parties every couple of months. The only things I can say I have a regret involving being in front of a computer a lot of the time isis being a little ADD and had a bad habit of playing games when I should have probably been studying back in college.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

The thing is by your thread title you only did 1 thing, sit in front of your computer. I did that too, but I also did so much more.
I think most of your post diminishes a very important central point you're making, and which I should not have neglected. Balance in life is important.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Im 100% with promit.

By all means, follow your heart, and if that involves chasing skirts, go ahead.

As for me, I dont regret spending my teens behind my computer; I think my assessment that chasing skirts was a waste of time then was an accurate one; its the rare teenage boy that gets a shot at anything worth having, and I certainly wasnt one of them. My twenties have felt like a much better time for all that, and it doesnt seem like the good times will stop rolling anytime soon.

On the other hand, I pity the fools who try to become programmers in their twenties. Its like learning to play an instrument or human language at a later age. Sure, it can be fun, and you might even develop some degree of skill, but I wouldnt be able to stand all the people coding circles around me.
Hey there, I`m going to offer some feedback as a 17 year old high school senior. I think that people should just do whatever they enjoy. Some people get great satisfaction out of playing sports, etc. so they should pursue those things. Whatever floats your boat, y`know? Also, I think productivity is also important but again that means different things to everyone.

I guess I could pretty much say I`ve spent my whole high school "career" on my computer. I don't often go out with friends, party, or even focus on my schoolwork. Yet with that said, I'm not really considered a nerd at school(I'm a self proclaimed loser though heh). I've made lots of friends and acquaintances-jocks, nerds, even girls(no girlfriend though :P). I'm not really a party animal because I'd rather be where I am now. Regarding schoolwork, I get decent grades(honour roll, etc.) but I could do much better if I cared more. Other people care about things like these but I'm just happy sitting in my basement. Well "sitting in my basement" is how others see it anyways. In reality, I'm on a quest for knowledge. I'm learning the way I want to and I'm having fun doing it and that's what I don't have any regrets(so far).

In the past months I've tried to change things up(well sort of). Instead of just seeking knowledge and learning, I'm trying to be more productive. There's no point in knowing everything if you have nothing to show for it. High school is almost over so my life will change a lot in the near future so I've decided to actually make a (big) game, but I digress. My main point is that there is no right path to take; everyone is different. I know that I won't have any regrets in a few years! At least I hope not :P

The problem that keeps coming up here is everyone thinks they are always right. I would have said the same thing. What is your gripe with not having fun in the real world and meeting people? Sitting in front of a computer is 1 thing to do. If that is all you want in life, then that is boring. I partied, played several live shows in band, recorded other bands, was a well known skateboarder, hung out with drug dealers, had a g/f, job, and still at the time of attending digipen, was miles ahead of everyone. If you never had fun in high school and weren't social, then you wouldn't understand. I had so much fun and so much time to do whatever I wanted, I learned a lot more things than just programming though. Once you are older you have time for maybe 1 thing, while working 9-5. When you are young you have the time to learn a lot more, meet a lot of people, and shouldn't be burnt out.

Biggest issue with statements like this, at least in my opinion is this is _MY LIFE_, not yours. What is boring to you, I might find to be the next best thing besides sliced bread. I could argue that watching sports aka grown men chase balls like dogs is utterly boring while others would highly disagree with me and the circle will continue forever. We could keep throwing arguements back and forth about what YOU feel is "FUN" or "LIVING" and I could come with counters of what I feel are "FUN" or "LIVING." In the end it is our life to live and if anyone is narrow minded to believe that their way of life, what they enjoy and dislike is the "way" things should be then they have more issues than anyone or anything I could mention and really isn't worth debating with them and wasting my time on people who are clearly a hopeless cause.

In the end the majority of these "people" who most people believe are doing "boring things" (behind computers for example) usually end up making improvements in every aspect of our life. Some people will never be thankful for anything and believe the world revolves around them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thank god there are many who don't cave to such narrow minded aspects of others. /salute to them.
To be honest, I resent the implication that 'sports' and 'girlfriends' are the normal high school pursuits and everything else is squandering your youth.[/quote]
Agreed.

The implicit desire to "relive" high school also baffles me. Don't get me wrong - I had an awesome high school career. But while you'll never find that I regret anything I did you'd have to drag me, kicking and screaming, through a time portal to do it all again.

Well "sitting in my basement" is how others see it anyways. In reality, I'm on a quest for knowledge. I'm learning the way I want to and I'm having fun doing it and that's what I don't have any regrets(so far).[/quote]
Good for you. Social norms change but the pleasure of spending your years as you see fit never does.

Biggest issue with statements like this, at least in my opinion is this is _MY LIFE_, not yours. What is boring to you, I might find to be the next best thing besides sliced bread. I could argue that watching sports aka grown men chase balls like dogs is utterly boring while others would highly disagree with me and the circle will continue forever. We could keep throwing arguements back and forth about what YOU feel is "FUN" or "LIVING" and I could come with counters of what I feel are "FUN" or "LIVING." In the end it is our life to live and if anyone is narrow minded to believe that their way of life, what they enjoy and dislike is the "way" things should be then they have more issues than anyone or anything I could mention and really isn't worth debating with them and wasting my time on people who are clearly a hopeless cause.[/quote]
Agreed, sir. Life is short but the years are long - so why would you let someone else dictate how you spend it? Unless their posts get ... 8 thumbs up. Then perhaps you should reconsider.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement