releasing a fan game

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 4 months ago
Hi,

a couple of months ago, some friends of mine started making 3d platformer game based on some popular tv cartoons such as Family Guy and southpark, since we are a big fan of these cartoons and we plan to
release these games to the public via a downloadable link on a website or on some public download location. Of course this game will be FREE and it will target similar fans of these cartoons shows.

Now the questions is, Is this legal? some people i consulted said that releasing it to public is OK as long as you dont make money out of them.
Advertisement
No, it's still copyright infringement. You legally release it, sure (as in, it's not a criminal act), but the owners of those IP's can legally send you a cease-and-desist and/or sue you in a civil court.
Making money or not doesn't change the fact that you don't have legal rights to the intellectual property, and therefore you would be in violation of copyright law.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
cebug, you really ought to read this forum's FAQ. There's a handy link above.

This is the third thread today that's active on this same question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement