• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Erasmus Crowley

My Casual RPG Design

This topic is 2566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I've been working on an rpg in my spare time that I am building specifically for Facebook. I'd like to share the basic concepts and get some feedback.

To start things off, everything revolves around a map. Everyone starts with one map, and one location on it revealed. If you click on a location it launches an 'adventure'.

Each adventure consists of a series of battles using an active turn based combat system. Usually this will be a number of peon battles followed by a boss encounter that is much trickier. Adventures will be generated according to a script, so rare encounters are possible which offer powerful rewards. The boss encounter will drop neat clothing, powerful magical items, and possibly 'treasure maps' that unlock new locations on the map screen. These new locations will unlock more difficult adventures and more diverse rewards. Adventures will typically be very quick affairs, ranging from 5 to 20 minutes. This way the game stays firmly in the 'Just one more adventure and I'll quit, I swear...' zone.

I'm planning on adding in limited multiplayer capabilities by showing the player which of their Facebook friends are currently playing the game. If the player sees a friend playing, they can invite him/her to join the player's party, and both players will participate in the next adventure by fighting together on the same team. This will allow the players to take on stronger enemies and develop more intense strategies for dealing with the bosses. There will be a limit on the number of players in a party, and it will be quite small. I'm leaning towards 3 right now.

I plan on making attacks during combat be based on abilities that you can collect, and then assign to a predetermined number of buttons that are clickable during battle. Each special attack will be similar to a card in a collectible card game. The abilities may even have the same effect, but use different stats. Perhaps you have two ability cards, 'Healing Light' and 'Medicinal Herb'. Perhaps 'Healing Light' heals your party for an amount of health based on your 'Faith' stat. While 'Medicinal Herb' does the same, but uses your 'Intellect' instead. Each card will have a set cool down when used in combat, so you can't just spam a single ability. Also, each card will have a unique attack animation with particle effects and sometimes props that appear just for that animation. I thought it would be nice to be able to find these cards on bosses and even trade them with your friends if you find one that fits a friend's strategic build or character theme.

The penalty for death will simply be that you wasted your time. If you throw away resources, like your mana, on the peon battles and die facing the boss, then you lose out on the sweet boss loot. At that point you have to replay the entire sequence, hopefully making better tactical choices or maybe inviting in a partner or two to help out.

So I'll stop there, though I have so much more I could talk about. This is really going to be the core of the gameplay and I'd like to make sure it's solid. Any questions, thoughts or criticism are welcome!

Advertisement
Hrm, it's been just over two days and no response. On the one hand, that tells me that there are no glaring flaws or else someone would have happily pointed them out by now. On the other hand, I find myself wondering if the idea is less wonderful than I believe it is, since it hasn't generated any discussion.

Did I not supply enough information for you guys to get an understanding of what I want to do? Any direction as to what any of you would like me to clarify?

It's quite high level so it's hard to comment on the details.

One thing I see is the map system. If you're going to have maps as random reward, you should unlock new areas as the player clears them and have maps provide optional area. If a player gets unlucky and doesn't receive a map during his first few adventures, he'll get bored and think there is nothing more to the game than this one area.

It's quite high level so it's hard to comment on the details.

One thing I see is the map system. If you're going to have maps as random reward, you should unlock new areas as the player clears them and have maps provide optional area. If a player gets unlucky and doesn't receive a map during his first few adventures, he'll get bored and think there is nothing more to the game than this one area.

That is a fantastic point. Another benefit to having a set chain of areas that unlock in sequence is that I could use that as a perfect place to put in a storyline and a tutorial. I could even implement quest lines that involve unlocking chains of optional areas. Great feedback, I'll definitely keep this in mind!

Kingdom of Loathing came to mind as you were describing the whole 'click a location to start an adventure' thing. As I recall, you'd adventure at a particular location fighting in encounters until you either defeat the boss or collect a particular item. Once one area was done another one would open up. I found it entertaining for a few weeks though I eventually got distracted by something shiny somewhere else. Getting stuck on a particular adventure isn't ever fun although I'm not sure how much can be done about it. On the one hand you don't want the player to get bored but on the other you don't want to completely trivialize the main storyline.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!