• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Boallods

How to make games in this situation?

This topic is 2565 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am new into the game industry. I am living in a country where that industry is very limited. Theres no studios, either people for this industry to make one. So is there any program that can help me to make games with someone who is probably on the other side of the world? Some program that will save my progress so the other one can continue at any time?

Advertisement
You may be thinking of "revision management" software which lets multiple developers co-operate with each other.

Have a look at "git" and "github". Basically you do some work, then you send it to the server. The other person gets a copy of the work you've done, does some more, can send it to the server again so you can pick it up. Commercial studios use software like this to allow many people in different locations to work on the same software.

You may be thinking of "revision management" software which lets multiple developers co-operate with each other.

Have a look at "git" and "github". Basically you do some work, then you send it to the server. The other person gets a copy of the work you've done, does some more, can send it to the server again so you can pick it up. Commercial studios use software like this to allow many people in different locations to work on the same software.

Thanks Katie. I checked it out and its just what I was looking for.

[quote name='Katie' timestamp='1323024159' post='4890444']

Thanks Katie. I checked it out and its just what I was looking for.
[/quote]

Git is not the only one there are several others all with their benefits and drawbacks.

At work we use Perforce, but I have worked at places where CVS was still used or nothing at all (these are not the best places to work).

Others are:

SVN, Mercurial, Bazaar, etc.

I checked all programs little deeper and I see that you need to code to do all of this actions. I there any program that works like this:

I start my project on random game engine with some other dev. I make a 3d model, send it to my partner and say "Make walking animation fro this character". He receives message and 3d model, makes animation, sends it to me........

Is there anything like this, but free?

I am new into the game industry. I am living in a country where that industry is very limited. Theres no studios, either people for this industry to make one. So is there any program that can help me to make games with someone who is probably on the other side of the world? Some program that will save my progress so the other one can continue at any time?

I work for a company that is globally distributed. Our work has contributors from every corner of the globe. We use IRC and email for distributed communication, and Launchpad to host projects (code, bugs, work group management, planning, translations, mailing lists, etc). We rarely meet face-to-face. There are other similar hosting facilities out there.

If you're looking to join or form a team, the Help Wanted forum here at GameDev can help you find like-minded people, as can various IRC channels. As long as you have the internet where you are, you're not alone.

[quote name='LoreHunter' timestamp='1322994312' post='4890360']

I work for a company that is globally distributed. Our work has contributors from every corner of the globe. We use IRC and email for distributed communication, and Launchpad to host projects (code, bugs, work group management, planning, translations, mailing lists, etc). We rarely meet face-to-face. There are other similar hosting facilities out there.

If you're looking to join or form a team, the Help Wanted forum here at GameDev can help you find like-minded people, as can various IRC channels. As long as you have the internet where you are, you're not alone.
[/quote]

Thanks but look at my previous reply. I am looking for something that doesnt need coding.

I checked all programs little deeper and I see that you need to code to do all of this actions. I there any program that works like this:

I start my project on random game engine with some other dev. I make a 3d model, send it to my partner and say "Make walking animation fro this character". He receives message and 3d model, makes animation, sends it to me........

Is there anything like this, but free?

Skype?
I suggest using a version control system,in addition.

[quote name='Bregma' timestamp='1323094912' post='4890714']

[/quote]

Thanks but look at my previous reply. I am looking for something that doesnt need coding.
[/quote]

All of these solutions don't need coding to be honest, we use perforce for art assests at work which is what you are asking for in my understanding of your question.

[quote name='Bregma' timestamp='1323094912' post='4890714']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Version control system and project hosting are not limited to code, you can use them to synchronize and share anything you want.

Making a game without any code however is extremely restrictive, Tools such as GameMaker will allow you to make simple games without writing a single line of code but requires scripting for advanced/unique features.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!