Robust faux-3D in 3/4 top down perspective?

Started by
2 comments, last by VividCanary 12 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I'm trying to wrap my head around how to implement a depth/fake 3d system in a 3/4 top down style game.

I started with looking at one of the most obvious examples: A Link to the Past.

tu4wv.jpg

This seems to work via a pretty simple optical illusion and some basic one-way collision detection in regards to falling off cliffs, no big deal there.

Then I looked at the PS1 game Alundra. This game is in (more or less) the same perspective as A Link to the Past, but with one big game changer: the ability to jump.
In the world, you can jump on any piece of scenery you can reach:

JGa1C.png

You need to press forward when you reach the table's height in order to "catch" the table, if that wasn't obvious.

The sprite moves on the y-axis when you jump, but it's different than "normal" movement. For example, you can stand as close to a door as you can without going in and jump. You won't go into the door, but your sprite will move along the y-axis past the door trigger (as well as be rendered above the top of the door frame) but you will not enter the door. If you move your character forward a single unit with the d-pad (or whatever) you will of course enter the door. The game also supports horizontal slopes, but I think they are locked into a single angle, so probably not a huge mystery to solve there.

The result of all this is a really really nice 3d effect.
So naturally, my question is: What sort of options are there for this kind of "robust" faux-3D? With no real z-axis, it seems really tricky!

I'm generally just looking for a discussion on the theory behind doing 3D like this and maybe some pseudo-code, but if it matters I'll probably try to implement it with C# in Unity (forgoing their collision and physics systems more than likely).
Advertisement
I'd guess a "Depth" variable (basically, a virtual Z-axis) is used. Typically, depth would be 0 when walking on the ground. When jump is pressed, depth is increased and decreased just like a side-scroller, and is added to the Y-axis for drawing.

I would then assume, checks are made against objects that have similar depths on the same X,Y tile, and, if matched, the user is kept on that plane, the Depth remains the same, and he walks around on "top" of whatever he is.

I'd assume the triggers also check depth, as depth of 0 is for ground triggers, and a higher depth used for "off the ground" locations.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Note that you can have 3d gameplay with 2d graphics and vice versa.

In A link to the past, there's just a flat timemap (judging by that screenshot as I haven't really played it, at least not for many years). In that case, walls are just blocked tiles. In alundra, the tiles on the map have a height. This means each tile has a floor and wall texture/image. When you draw, you draw back-to-front. For each map 'row', you draw tiles first, then objects. If an object spans several rows, it's drawn after the last (lowest on screen) row. When you draw a tile, you must first use its height to find the y-position on the screen. If its height is lower than that of the tile in the last row, you fill in the distance using the wall texture/image.

Finding the y-position on the screen is just map_y + height.
Alright, I think I have a pretty decent idea of how to get something similar to Alundra going now.
I had thought about having a "fake" z-axis before, but I figured I'd run it by some more knowledgeable people before proceeding.

I'll update this thread if I run into anything interesting/frustrating.
Thanks a bunch guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement