What kind of game should I make?

Started by
8 comments, last by Boallods 12 years, 4 months ago
I am planing to make a game in Unity engine. I want to make simple (possibly 2D) game that would be playable on portable devices (iOS, PSP...) but also with PC version. Any idea what kind of game should I make?
_-_-_-_Lore_Hunter_-_-_-_

/_()R-
Advertisement

I am planing to make a game in Unity engine. I want to make simple (possibly 2D) game that would be playable on portable devices (iOS, PSP...) but also with PC version. Any idea what kind of game should I make?

I don't think anyone can give you a straight answer to that except you yourself.
What games do you like to play? What kind of experience do you have with unity (or other engines)? How much time do you have to make this? Do you have any money to invest in it, or is this a no-budget job?

I think with an answer to these questions someone could point you in the right direction :)

I gets all your texture budgets!

With these kind of questions I always wonder: why do you even want to make something? If there isn't an initial spark, surely you'd have given up by now? Or is that you have no idea that "fits the bill" and you are fishing for some fresh ones here? You need to at the very least specify genre a bit more and your requirements; otherwise, we could go on and on listing every damn game in the iOS/XBLIG/Steam marketplace and still be left with dozens (or hundreds) more.

Specificity. It's a rule.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
Thanks for your support. And for your advice, Radikalizm.

/_()R-
You could go to a place that sells games of the type you want to make and look at the star ratings and numbers sold. Big Fish Games has a Top 100 page and sells primarily casual games in the $6-$10 range.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You could go to a place that sells games of the type you want to make and look at the star ratings and numbers sold. Big Fish Games has a Top 100 page and sells primarily casual games in the $6-$10 range.

Thanks, but I am thinking of releasing my game trough steam or "Union"

/_()R-

[quote name='sunandshadow' timestamp='1323300471' post='4891641']

Thanks, but I am thinking of releasing my game trough steam or "Union"
[/quote]
But steam doesn't provide that kind of free data about game popularity, as far as I know. I wasn't suggesting you sell through big fish, I was suggesting you research to see what people are buying by looking at their top 100 list, which is even conveniently filterable to different genres. The logic being, if you don't know what you want to make, you may as well make something people will be eager to buy. But they don't sell RPGs or FPSes, so if you were planning to make something like that then their data wouldn't be useful to you.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I'm not sure that's the sort of thing someone can tell you...like Radikalizm said, it depends on your own interests and areas of expertise. As an indie developer I'm not sure it'd do you any good to focus purely on the type of game you think other people might enjoy; if you yourself aren't into it, then you might get bored and never finish the game.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

I'd say it is more about what you want to make, but recently I have seen a lot of RPG's being released. Not so much any horror. I always found the horror genre fascinating. Also, there are very little horror games on the IOS so maybe you could make one. Try to step away from use of zombies because the world is becoming crowded with zombie TDS' and FPS'.

But as the others have pointed out, it is about what you want to make and not what others want you to make. Hope you find what you want and hope I helped :)

-Max
Thanks Paul, I will have that in mind.

I'd say it is more about what you want to make, but recently I have seen a lot of RPG's being released. Not so much any horror. I always found the horror genre fascinating. Also, there are very little horror games on the IOS so maybe you could make one. Try to step away from use of zombies because the world is becoming crowded with zombie TDS' and FPS'.

But as the others have pointed out, it is about what you want to make and not what others want you to make. Hope you find what you want and hope I helped :)

-Max

You did helped, Max. I will discuss this with my partner.

/_()R-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement