• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Warl0ck

Quake 2 BSP vs. Half life 1 BSP

This topic is 2523 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anybody please tell me the differences in code between the Quake II BSP format and the Half life BSP format? I am trying to convert my Quake 2 bsp editor to a half life version, and im having extreme trouble.

so far, i know:

- header version is 30 (half life)
- the lumps are in different order (i have the correct orders)
- half life bsp stores textures externally?

If you would be so kind to help me, possibly provide me with a helpful link, I would be ever so grateful.

thank you very much everyone:)

Advertisement
Half Life 1 BSP is little much more than a semi-evolved Quake 1 BSP; the formats are almost identical. Maybe have a look at the Quake 1 source code (if it doesn't make your eyes bleed too much) for a working example of loading and all the struct definitions you need.

I'd leave textures till last; they're the only really radical change from Quake 1. Focus on getting the geometry working right first.

ok thanks, but im talking about quake 2 not quake 1, because i saw the source code, and it is very different bsp format, for example, quake1 + halflife1 have 15 lumps, whereas quake2 has 19 lumps

Info on the HL1 BSP format would be in the source to the ZHLT, which I see is still being maintained by a few people.

The source should be somewhere on their site:

http://zhlt.info/

HL1 is based on Quake1, aside from HL specific differences (which are mostly the new bsp sections you noticed) they are very similar.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!