while loops

Started by
9 comments, last by BeerNutts 12 years, 4 months ago
I am working on a doubly nested while loops.I am trying to print out a grid of characters such as.
xxx
xxx
xxx

here is my code so far.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int test=0;

int main()
{
int rows=0;
int columns=0;
char theChar;
int i=0;
int j=0;

cout << "How many rows? ";
cin >> rows;
cout << "How many columns? ";
cin >> columns;
cout << "What character? ";
cin >> theChar;

while (i<rows)
{
i++;
cout << theChar;
while(j<columns-1)
{
j++;
cout << theChar;
}
cout << endl;
}

cin >> test;
return 0;
}

I know it is an easy fix I just need a second opinion.I will continue to work on it.

Advertisement

I know it is an easy fix I just need a second opinion.I will continue to work on it.

What is the actual problem? One issue I see is that on the second run through the "i" loop, the "j" variable isn't reset to 0 so will start out at the max value.

Also, is there a reason you're not using a for loop? This is exactly what for loops are designed for.
well I got this question out of a book.

well I got this question out of a book.
What question; your post doesn't have a question in it :)
well simply the question asks to take a doubly nested for loop which prints out a grid of characters and convert it to a doubly nested while loop.
Without seeing the original for loops and just rearranging your code, you would need something like this:

while(i < rows)
{
cout << theChar;

while(j < columns)
{
cout << theChar;
++j;
}
j = 0;
cout << endl;
++i;
}

Like stated previously, j needs to be reset after the inner loops finishes its rounds.
Secondly, you need to increment your counters at the end of a loop iteration, not the beginning. The way a for loop works is like this: Start the counter at a certain number, while a condition is true, do the work. At the end of the work, manipulate the counter.
Lastly, if you are basing your iteration at 0 and want to do the work for each column, you need to change your inner condition to j < columns. The way you have it now will skip the last column.

[color="#1C2837"]

[color="#1C2837"]

Co-founder/Lead Programmer
Bonafide Software, L.L.C.
Fairmont, WV 26554 US
You need to reset the "j" before the nested while, and put the incrementation at the end of the loop block if you want it to work like a for loop does.
jonbonazza's answer doesn't load properly, so here's what your program should look like:
[color="#1C2837"]#include <iostream>[color="#1C2837"]

using namespace std;

int test=0;

int main()

[color="#1C2837"]

{

int rows=0;

[color="#1C2837"]

int columns=0;

[color="#1C2837"]

char theChar;

[color="#1C2837"]

int i=0;

[color="#1C2837"]

int j=0;

[color="#1C2837"]

cout << "How many rows? ";

[color="#1C2837"]

cin >> rows;

[color="#1C2837"]

cout << "How many columns? ";

[color="#1C2837"]

cin >> columns;

[color="#1C2837"]

cout << "What character? ";

[color="#1C2837"]

cin >> theChar;

[color="#1C2837"]

while (i<rows)

[color="#1C2837"]

{

[color="#1C2837"]

i++; //get rid of the cout here, redo the while() expression. makes it simpler.

[color="#1C2837"]

while(j<columns)

[color="#1C2837"]

{

[color="#1C2837"]

j++;

[color="#1C2837"]

cout << theChar;

[color="#1C2837"]

}

[color="#1C2837"]

cout << endl;

j=0; //this is the new line that fixes your problem<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">[color="#1C2837"]

}

[color="#1C2837"]

cin >> test;

[color="#1C2837"]

return 0;

[color="#1C2837"]

}

If you move the declaration of j inside the first loop, then you don't have to "reset" it between iterations. In general, you should declare your variables in the tightest possible scope. Re-using variables like this often leads to bugs because the variable may not have a consistent initial state.
Oops. Not sure what happened with my post. At any rate, I repaired it.
Co-founder/Lead Programmer
Bonafide Software, L.L.C.
Fairmont, WV 26554 US

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement