• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3DModelerMan

Unity Choosing a scripting language

This topic is 2566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to decide which scripting language and wrapper/binding library to use. I want something where I can derive script classes from C++ objects (like LuaBind or sqPlus). And then be able to create instances of those objects in C++ and call their member functions as callbacks on the C++ side. Similar to the way Unity 3D does it. I would just embed Mono, except that I don't want to go through compiling a new Mono DLL for each script, and if I want to port my game to a weird platform I don't want it to rely on OS specific features (like dynamic linking).

Advertisement
My personal preference is Lua. It is simple, lightweight, and has a lot of third party addons and is used widely enough to find help when you need. it.

My decision may be influenced by the nostalgic feelings I have with it because I programmed my palm pilot using plua (palm Lua).

The Lua integration is "straightforward", so, if Lua is powerful enough for your project you can choose it. Anyway, if you need more, you could consider Python - integration with C++ is more difficult, but there are tools which simplifies the process.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!