unity or udk?

Started by
8 comments, last by logana60 12 years, 4 months ago
im trying to make AA games no iphone angry birds i have been modeling for like six months know a lttle c++ and unityscript what would be the best for a open world fps (unity seems to be fairly good at large maps but everything looks like utter crap graphics wise)What about udk? and there will probably be at most 100 to 200 people on the map at once (i have them very low poly but a good texture)

unity for a while, i know the interface, basics of scripting, other crap but i have noticed its not the best speed or graphicly.

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW

1 whos best at large maps

2 whos best at speed(fps)

3 whos best at a lot of stuff on the map at once

4 the overall conclusion of what u think i should use

an entirely diffrent engine as a suggestion would also be apreciated if you think that they are better for my situation but please explain why better at lots of characters etc.

thanks
Advertisement
Sorry, but I have to ask...

What games have you made before attempting to make this open world FPS? How big is your team?
2 people
we havnt released any games but we made a few but we were unsatisfied with unity

we are not making the next grandtheft auto or mw3 we have a lot of models done and depending on the engines scripting language we could probably start scripting right away

we havnt released any games but we made a few but we were unsatisfied with unity

Yeah, your criteria really made this feel like an anti-Unity troll and now it is confirmed.

I would hazard a guess, at this point in time, the limiting factor is you, not the engine you choose.

Also, no offence but "[color="#1C2837"]im trying to make AA games no iphone angry birds"'; I think you owe the English language an apology, abuse on that level is nearly criminal.
i dont hate unity and am currentlu using it to this day but am looking for something better plus i dont see anything wrong with that sentence.
plus i dont see anything wrong with that sentence

I see like at least 8 errors right off the bat. It's a gigantic run-on. You also started the sentence as a statement of facts and then asked a question at the end of it. Use punctuation. Spell words. Learn the usage of 'a' and 'an'. Every time I see someone substituting the word "you" with the letter "u", I get the feeling the person posting is either 13, lazy, does not care about his reputation, or is just plain stupid.

The answers to your questions are not engine/dev kit specific. They are developer specific and generally boil down to how well you can optimize code.

You're also asking opinionated questions; don't be surprised if you get opinionated answers.
im sorry i didnt know you guys are all english teachers and care so much about that "how well you can optimize code" thank you for answering a question so udk and unity are gonna run the same with 200 peeople "if" i optimise the code?

so udk and unity are gonna run the same with 200 peeople "if" i optimise the code?

There are so many variables affecting the performance of a game engine that it is not a simple question of "Which is faster for x amount of objects."

If you are running into performance issues with Unity then there is a good chance that you are expecting too much from the engine or you are not using it properly. No matter what engine you use you will run into limitations. With a two-person team with little experience I would worry more about making a fun game and learning than the number of objects in your game.
yea it was kinda a learning project on a bigger scale we just didnt want to get into something too deep when we would be switching engines

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement