• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jake Gilla

Version/Source Control and Storage?

This topic is 2559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I'm working in a team of 5 students (4 + myself) and we just finished our first project using Game Maker, with storage being handled in Drop Box and project management handled through a Facebook group. While it worked fairly well (reliable for sure) merging changes between all of us, especially during the last few week, got pretty hectic. As our next planned project is going to be an XNA/ FlatRedBall/Glue project I thought we would looking into using something like Beanstalk, or it's competitor to handle source control, project management, and asset storage. Unfortunately, in researching our options it seems that most these services offer very little storage unless you get the super-awesome-kick-ass-premium-400-user packages.

Are there any options out there anyone is aware of that offers Git or Subverion support for 5 users with 10GB of storage for $20 a month or less?

If not, are people using multiple solutions to handle this sort of thing? any suggestions?

Advertisement
Don't know if this is an option for you, but for myself, I have a computer at home that is always on that I use as my SVN server. I have hamachi installed on it and my laptop, which works as a VPN connection so I can always access my repository. It's free, pretty reliable, and I have full control. Plus the computer is backed up with crashplan to an offsite location. It may or may not work for you and your team, but I'd suggest at least looking into doing something similar.

Bitbucket has 5-user repositories with "unlimited storage" for free. I use it for personal projects. I'm using Mercurial, but Bitbucket says it supports git as well.

It's made by Atlassian, who also make JIRA. JIRA is one of the most convenient task-and-bug tracking systems I've used. However, I'm not sure if JIRA is free or not (I only use it at work, not at home).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!