• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aziz_light

I want to make a game

This topic is 2563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody,

I am a web developer, I know Ruby and PHP. I also know C and Java. I recently decided that I wanted to make a game. An RPG, hack-n-slash, Diablo II-like type of game to be more specific. I am not interested in 3D rendering, I want to make games in what I believe is called "isometric 2D", like Diablo II.

The problem is that I don't know where to begin; I don't even know how game development works. Ideally, I would like to use one or several of my programming skills (except PHP); Also I do not want to use C++ (I don't know C++ and I don't really want to learn it at the moment).

I know (think) it would be unrealistic to aim to make an RPG as a first game (tell me if I'm wrong), so I would like to start by creating a something simpler, following a tutorial for instance. So what "tools" should I use?

What game engine should I use? (I don't mind if the game engine is commercial and reasonably priced)

Where should I start?

Advertisement
If you wish to go in the way of the programmer, my personal suggestion is to start with Java since you already know it, and it will most likely prove a lot more productive than C at the moment. However, if you do start off with C, you have a wide array of libraries to choose from such as the native Win32 API for windows, SDL, Allegro, and all that good stuff. For Java, most of these are a standard part of the language so it would be preferable that you don't have to worry about which libraries you use for now, and focus more on creating the games.

As you start making games you'll soon realize that the elementary process if fairly straight forward. Almost every game needs to display objects on screen, move objects around, have the objects interact, and all that good stuff. The idea behind choosing simple games and progressing gradually is so that you may focus on concepts separately and later on simply add them together to create more complicated games.

So if you're new to graphics, I suggest a project that will let you figure out how to draw graphics. Maybe Tic-Tac-Toe where you can interact with the mouse. Then you should try moving things around so maybe a maze game of some sort where you can control you character with the arrows. A little interaction in a pong game or snake. Then you can make Tetris for an even different kind of interaction. It's really up to you to decide which things you want to learn first, just make sure you don't overwhelm yourself :)

Good luck!

I recommend the book "Killer Game Programming In Java".

You can buy it from amazon or download a .pdf version.

It has tutorials to help you start game programming and all the code for making games. It has an in-depth tutorial on how to make an isometric game.
I have this book myself and it is very good.

But, it will take you a long time to read :)

There's nothing wrong with programming in C if you want, but it could limit you some. I have been using SFML for a while, and it's a great graphics/audio/input library, but it's interface is C++. now, that doens't mean you have to program your game in C++, just your calls to SFML will be C++, and you'd have to use a C++ compiler (which runs C code fine). My blog (in my sig) details me making a simple game using SFML and chipmunk-physics in C++.

But, Java is a good solution too, I just don't know what tools to use for that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!