• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
YucelKaramanli

Coding Game update for IOS

This topic is 2555 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there,

I am dying find an answer to this (probabily) simple yet unanswered question on the net. Can someone explain How can I implement an update to a game that already has been posted in apple's application store? The content of the updates would be bug fixes and additional game levels.

best regards,
Nusakan

Advertisement
You pretty much do exactly the same steps you used to publish it in the first place, and then manage the rest through iTunes Connect.

You pretty much do exactly the same steps you used to publish it in the first place, and then manage the rest through iTunes Connect.

Thanks for the info Promit. After your advice I read the developer guide of ITunes connect and found this useful information.
https://itunesconnec...loperGuide.pdf
however, it seems , we can only change the binary executable and icon images. If this is the case, How on earth so many apps released in app store can introduce new levels as game updates? As many of us already knows, app store has 20 Mega byte fixed allowance on application size. These developers surely exceeding 20 megabyte after updating level data or assets of the game at some point. Is running my own server only option if I exceed 20 mega byte?

Edit: Must state a correction which I found recently.
As of 22nd of september 2011, application size limit is 2g. However, if the application is over 20 Mg , purchasers has to use Wifi to download the application.

I'm not understanding your question.
To do an update, you will need the original app source code and assets (and then you can add more levels/content/etc) and republish it in iTunes.
Also, there is no size limit for wifi downloads.

I'm not understanding your question.
To do an update, you will need the original app source code and assets (and then you can add more levels/content/etc) and republish it in iTunes.
Also, there is no size limit for wifi downloads.

Sorry If I wasn't clear enough. I read through the developers guide for I-tunes connect. The only thing was written there regards to updating binary executable of the code. As far as I know binary executable contains only the compiled source code. This is okay for releasing new fixes if there are game bugs. However there wasn't any information if developers could add new levels, models, and other assets in the official guide. According to your statement I will be able to add new assets as long as if I have the original app source code and assets, Which already answered my question.

As for the Application size limit. It is entirely my fault I thought 20 mega byte was the maximum we could go for both wifi and Over the air downloads. However soon after it come clear to me it wasn't the case. According to the itunes connect, as of 22nd of september 2011, maximum limit for wifi is 2 giga-byte.

Regardless the case thanks for clarifying that I can also add more assets along with my binary executable.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!