• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
homer_3

Getting world coords from screen in 2D XNA? [Solved]

This topic is 2445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not sure how I can get the world coordinates of my mouse on the screen in a 2D XNA game. I'm using SpriteBatch to do my rendering, so there aren't really any matrices involved that I'm aware I have access to. I am using the overloaded SpriteBatch.Begin which lets me pass in a translation matrix, but that's the only matrix I'm aware of. So I think my world matrix is basically just the translation that I pass in to SpriteBatch.Begin. I'm currently trying

MouseState ms = Mouse.GetState();
Vector3 mPos = new Vector3(ms.X, ms.Y, 1);
mPos = graphics.GraphicsDevice.Viewport.Unproject(mPos, Matrix.Identity, Matrix.Identity, spriteBatchMatrix);

But this doesn't work. I'm hovering my mouse over a known coordinate and mPos isn't even remotely close. It also appears to be a normalized value.

Edit: I should have googled harder. I found the solution on stackoverflow.

MouseState ms = Mouse.GetState();
Vector3 mPos = new Vector3(ms.X, ms.Y, 100);
Matrix tMat = Matrix.Invert(spriteBatchMatrix); //spriteBatchMatrix is the translation matrix passed to SpriteBatch.Begin
mPos = Vector3.Transform(mPos, tMat);

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!