• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Introduction to Developing?

This topic is 2354 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,
I am not new to Gamedev.net but I have made a new account in order to get more involved with the site. I have always been interested in playing games, but I have always wanted to be able to say to someone; " I made that game!", even if it's not a great game.
I could only imagine how much patience it takes to start developing a video game, but I sort of figured I won't be able to learn and create all in a day or two. I am a big fan of RPGs but I wouldn't know how to start something like that. I was thinking that it would make more sense to have a development binder, so over time, I can write things I want to put in my own game someday. This is more or less a side question; How would you recommend I organize that binder, in tabs? Thanks, that would help me out a lot.

General Question:

What advice can you give me on starting to learn the basics of creating and developing a game? What do I have to know in order to make a game, and how can I learn and master the things I have to know to make a game. I know of the topics like; Engines, Scripting, Programming, Modeling, and few things as such. But if someone could help me out and explain to me everything I need to know, what are some good beginner programs I could use to start learning more.

Thanks for your help,
Wolfe

Advertisement
If you're doing this by yourself, you will need to know how to design and code programs using a graphics library of some kind and how to create the graphics you need (eg: make pixel art for a 2D game or models and textures for a 3D game). Those are the two basic abilities needed to make a very simple game by yourself. If you want to get started as fast as possible, I'd recommend learning C# and XNA. I've seen people go from nothing to something surprisingly fast with XNA. If you decide to try XNA, the following might help

To get started on c#, C# Station is decent.

Here are some simple tutorials XNA Development Tutorials

If you're interested in buying a book that can get you started on game stuff quickly, I recommend Learning XNA 3.0: XNA 3.0 Game Development for the PC, Xbox 360, and Zune

If your interested in getting deeper into programming and game design, I listed many resources that helped me in my most recent blog post here.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!