• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kirenemook12

Rotational speed

This topic is 2357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello every one.

I am trying to make a collision response in 3D, and that includes rotation. I know that rotation is a vector quantity, but I don't know how to use such a vector.
if the vector is [2,6,7], should I rotate the object 2 radians around the X-axis, 6 radians around the Y-axis, and 7 radians around the Z-axis?

Advertisement
Ah. In that case, you treat the center of mass as a particle in 3D space. To quote Wikipedia's Particle in three dimensions subsection:

"The angular velocity in this case is generally thought of as a vector, or more precisely, a pseudovector. It now has not only a magnitude, but a direction as well. The magnitude is the angular speed, and the direction describes the axis of rotation."

in the case of [2,6,7]

sqrt(2^2+6^2+7^2) = 9.43 radians per second, which is very close to 3 rotations per second.

[2,6,7]/9.43 = [0.21, 0.63, 0.74]

So the object is doing about 3 rotations per second clockwise on the [0.21, 0.63, 0.74] axis.

edit: I forgot to comment on the direction of rotation.
The rotation is always clockwise. To get a counter-clockwise rotation about a given axis, make a rotation about the negative of that axis.
For example, 3 counterclockwise rotations per second about the [0.21, 0.63, 0.74] axis would be expressed as [-2,-6,-7].

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!