• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wildbunny

How to make a 2d platform game

This topic is 2444 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

I've just completed the first in a series of blog posts about how to make a 2d, tile based platform game, hope you enjoy it!

http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2011/12/11/how-to-make-a-2d-platform-game-part-1/

Cheers, Paul.

Advertisement

Hi guys,

I've just completed the first in a series of blog posts about how to make a 2d, tile based platform game, hope you enjoy it!

http://www.wildbunny...rm-game-part-1/

Cheers, Paul.

This seems like a good effort. I would like to see more comments in your code, more explanation of the mathematics that you used, and a much deeper coverage of your layering (as it is fairly important). I am also really not a huge fan of the use of an array to store your map data (I am a fan of data driven design)... Why not load the mappy files from a file?

I think the price for your code and assets is also a bit steep.. $20-$30 is probably a better price range, but that is just my opinion. Maybe post it to the GameDev store?

This seems like a good effort. I would like to see more comments in your code, more explanation of the mathematics that you used, and a much deeper coverage of your layering (as it is fairly important). I am also really not a huge fan of the use of an array to store your map data (I am a fan of data driven design)... Why not load the mappy files from a file?

I think the price for your code and assets is also a bit steep.. $20-$30 is probably a better price range, but that is just my opinion. Maybe post it to the GameDev store?

Hi, thanks for the feedback :)

I would load from a level data from a file, but this project is in flash so it would complicate matters slightly.

I'll take a look at the store as well :)

Cheers, Paul.

I've made some of the changes you suggested, and slashed the price as well...

Hope this represents better value :)

Yes this is much better :) . Keep up the good work!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!