Help me understand this "getting started" tutorial?

Started by
6 comments, last by freeworld 12 years, 4 months ago
Hey everyone, my name is Aaron. I'm making a game and after a lot of contemplation, I've decided to work with DirectX. I hear it's more straight forward than OpenGL and there seem to be more beginner friendly tutorials for it, and more books too.

Anyway, it seems like I should be using "SlimDX", so I am. Not sure what kind of wrapper/API/whatever it is, but I really just want to start coding in C# and throwing triangles on the screen and skip messing around with the details.

I found this tutorial which has me install SlimDX and I don't know exactly how to use it because I don't know exactly what all the jargon means, but I did figure out step 1 lol.
Here's the Tutorial!

[color="#4E4E4E"][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Could someone please walk me through it? I'm using C# for VS2010 express.[/font]
[color="#4E4E4E"][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Scroll down to the list of items after the first image to where there are four steps.
[/font]
[color="#4E4E4E"][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Currently, I can't "Unload Project" (step 2) because it neither appears when I right click my WindowsFormApplication1, nor can I do anything from the Project menu at the top of the IDE.[/font]
[color="#4E4E4E"][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
[color="#4E4E4E"][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I'm not as computer savvy as I should be to program, but I can program decent if I put my mind to it. Navigating menus I've never seen before can be tricky, but making a new class or function comes pretty naturally. And I'm basically just not used to this IDE.[/font]
[color="#4E4E4E"][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[color="#4E4E4E"][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][please don't mark threads "solved" -- jpetrie][/font]
Advertisement

but I really just want to start coding in C# and throwing triangles on the screen and skip messing around with the details.

Too bad.

The devil is in the details. If you don't know how to program, even the most basic graphics tutorials will be beyond your grasp. Start slow, learn C# basics. Learn to build and debug programs. Learn to use your development environment.

There are no shortcuts.
If you don't know how to program, even the most basic graphics tutorials will be beyond your grasp. Start slow, learn C# basics. Learn to build and debug programs. Learn to use your development environment.

Great, thanks for the nay say and the -1. So can anyone help me out or is this just a Troll site?
[color="#0000ff"]This is a legitimate question.

To state this simply, [color="#ff0000"]"Unload Project" is not even on the menu that everyone says [color="#ff0000"]its supposed to be on. I mean I looked everywhere I could think of and googled the heckler out of it and it's just plain [color="#ff0000"]not where everyone is saying [color="#ff0000"]it should be. I can't unload my project because [color="#ff0000"]right clicking the project doesn't give me that option and it's n[color="#ff0000"]ot in the project menu at the top!

LINK

According to google image search [color="#ff0000"]it's supposed to be between "rename" and "open folder in windows explorer". It's not!
Terrorists clearly did it.

I tried not using a Windows Forms Application, thinking that might be the problem, but the option still isn't there!

Is there no other way to do this? Why wouldn't it be there for me? It's JUST NOT THERE.

hereitis.png

whereisitj.png

I think I'm gonna cry, I'm so excited to program and unabled!
Great, thanks for the nay say. So can anyone help me out?

This is exactly the wrong attitude to have.

--

To help with your immediate issue... I get the "Unload Project" option here, if I right click on the project in the solution explorer popout. If this doesn't work, I think you should be able to just close the project, edit the csproj in Notepad or similar, then reopen.
[TheUnbeliever]
This is exactly the wrong attitude to have.

It was upsetting to get slammed for trying to get help - turns out that the IDE has let me down, so I'm not really out of line, am I? I just don't want people to assume I'm not doing my job when I did. It's upsetting.

To help with your immediate issue... I get the "Unload Project" option here, if I right click on the project in the solution explorer popout. If this doesn't work, I think you should be able to just close the project, edit the csproj in Notepad or similar, then reopen.

That's exactly where it isn't! Going to try your work around right now. Thank you so much, T.U., I really appreciate it!

It worked! Your my hero, dude. Thank you so much.

[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1323632996' post='4892870']If you don't know how to program, even the most basic graphics tutorials will be beyond your grasp. Start slow, learn C# basics. Learn to build and debug programs. Learn to use your development environment.

Great, thanks for the nay say and the -1.
[/quote]

I didn't -1 you. You weren't being rude or unfriendly.

So can anyone help me out or is this just a Troll site?
[color="#0000ff"]This is a legitimate question.
[/quote]

It's legitimate in that you don't know, so asked. But frankly, even if we took the time and effort to try and figure out what the hell scenario you cooked up, that article isn't going to help much for you if you don't know how to program. It's unfortunate that you feel slighted, but we get hordes of beginners here who take one of the multitude of wrong paths towards making a game or becoming a competent programmer. Worse yet, most of them think that 'you just don't understand' or that 'I'm smart, I don't need to be babied with the "easy path"' or any number of other falsehoods that will prevent them from taking good advice.

Frankly, it's not worth our time to do a thorough investigation of your problem since you're statistically unlikely to heed our help regardless. And ever if we do help with this question, you're still a loss since you're asking the wrong question.

It was upsetting to get slammed for trying to get help -
[/quote]

You thought that was a slam? Heh, I'd hate to see how you'd react when someone actually takes the lumber to you.

I'm glad you found what you're looking for. Best of luck.
I'm sorry Telastyn. I got defensive. Please accept my apologies and thank you for putting some effort forth in my favor.
try turning the advanced gui on... the new 2010 visual studio starts off in beginners mode or whatever it's called, there should be an option to turn on advanced mode. I personally like vs2008, so I can't remember the exact name, or which drop down menu it in but, you should be able to find it. Also you don't have to unload a project, simply loading a new one or closing the program will do it for you.

Also, ignore trolling, ignore your reputation. It has nothing to do with learning programming. Next time, just don't even mention it and you'll get far better response, though a couple are probably going to be jerks. Go figure that's the introwebs for ya.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement