• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wquist

OpenGL IDE for DirectX 11

This topic is 2562 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I just built my first PC (I've always developed on Macs) because I want to do some DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4 development. What IDE would be best for this? I saw Visual Studio Express, but I'd prefer to use something that uses gcc so I can use Objective-C (I know I can't use the Cocoa libraries, I just like it more than straight C/C++). Is there any way I could do this? If not, is Visual Studio the best option?

Advertisement
For what it's worth. I'm not so certain that Objective-C in Windows (really, anything other than OSX/iOS) is a terribly great adventure to embark on. Obj-C is only as "nice" as it is on Apple kit because the systems themselves are largely built around it, the same way that Win32 was built around C, and how recent APIs are built around .Net or C++.

It's a bit like building a house, but you've told the roofers that they have to use the framers' tools, and vice-versa; they've both got hammers, but not quite the right hammer for the job.

I'm sure you can do it, but it sounds unnecessarily painful, honestly. You'd be better off switching to C++ for your DX11/OGL4 experiments in Windows land. And for that, Visual Studio is really among the best IDEs available (short of maybe SlickEdit, which costs quite a bit just for the IDE [no compiler, etc]), unless you're more of the Vim/Emacs + command-line type.

Yeah the D3D libraries are technically accessible through straight C, but they really seem to be designed around a C++ way of doing things. So if you're not already familar with D3D, I'd imagine having some trouble working with it through Obj-C. It also wouldn't help that all of the samples and tutorials use C++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!