• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Choosing a Language && Game Programming

This topic is 2351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey thanks for checking out my question

please help me select the best game engine / language to program in based on the following
I am about to write a game in flash but If anyone has alternatives which may offer similar ease in designing the graphics and simplicity to write code

for what I want to do I would like a relatively large world and may require faster code for the gamers to enjoy

This is going to be my first time writing a game(besides example games from books)... but I am an intermediate-advanced level programmer... the graphical design is mostly my downfall (cool looking characters and their movements etc)

in the end I really dont mind if the game is on the web or a desktop game or both.. I have big ideas however and its going to be a large and adventurous game

Thanks again!

PS: I know c,c++,c#,java, python, flash, and lots of others etc so i'm really open to ideas and game engines to learn (but I really would prefer ones that allow you to push forward fast with your concepts which is how I interpret flash to be)

Advertisement
Hey,

What games do you want to make? Physics games, Real life strategy games, Role playing games, etc..
The engine you are about to choose depends on what you want to do. Do you want to make 2D games or 3D games?

UDK engine is very good for role playing games. I'm not saying this is the best engine.. I have only worked with this ones before so maybe there are a lot better engines.
For the language I should say C++ but that is because I only know that language. :lol:

But you should take a language that suits you. In C++ you have all the freedom you want for coding. But for game development you don't need all those freedom so you better use a better language unless you love to program in C++.

Btw, some graphics are better with the one engine then the other engine. So if you want a pure realistic games you should look up for graphics engines. Example

Kind regards,
B. Jonathan

Hey,

What games do you want to make? Physics games, Real life strategy games, Role playing games, etc..
The engine you are about to choose depends on what you want to do. Do you want to make 2D games or 3D games?

UDK engine is very good for role playing games. I'm not saying this is the best engine.. I have only worked with this ones before so maybe there are a lot better engines.
For the language I should say C++ but that is because I only know that language. :lol:

But you should take a language that suits you. In C++ you have all the freedom you want for coding. But for game development you don't need all those freedom so you better use a better language unless you love to program in C++.

Btw, some graphics are better with the one engine then the other engine. So if you want a pure realistic games you should look up for graphics engines. Example

Kind regards,
B. Jonathan

Hey thanks for the reply

I want to make an adventure game thats kinda like sid Meiers pirates as in its lightly 3d from a tilted overhead camera angle

heres a clip .. first 20 seconds of this 3 minute clip should give you the correct picture of what I want

I was looking into unity which seemed to offer a quick fix to nice graphics for someone like myself who is not the best at graphics..(like flash would probably result in me coming out with a more 2D looking game with cartoonish cheep characters)

regarding c++, yeah it offers a lot but your right I probably don't need it all and can get by with a faster to write code

in the end I am looking for that professional looking game but its just me programming it.. so 1 man trying to look like the professionals video game (in the end I'm doing it all for fun though :D)

Thanks again

please help me select the best game engine / language to program in based on the following
I am about to write a game in flash but If anyone has alternatives which may offer similar ease in designing the graphics and simplicity to write code

PS: I know c,c++,c#,java, python, flash, and lots of others etc so i'm really open to ideas and game engines to learn (but I really would prefer ones that allow you to push forward fast with your concepts which is how I interpret flash to be)

If you like, flash, are comfortable with flash. Then stick with it. Why waste time fumbling with another language when you can start coding your game now with flash.

Ill ask you to once again, define what a game engine is.

I want to make an adventure game thats kinda like sid Meiers pirates as in its lightly 3d from a tilted overhead camera angle

That camera angle is called isometric... or is it diametric.

in the end I am looking for that professional looking game but its just me programming it.. so 1 man trying to look like the professionals video game (in the end I'm doing it all for fun though :D)
[/quote]

Don't get caught up on looks. Every game starts out with place holders graphics... even the professionals. In the end I would say from your posts, that Flash is the best bet. Sounds to me like any other language is just going to bog you down.

If you really wanted to look into another language, C# is a pretty fast language to code in, though I only use it sparingly. Sometimes I do like it more than C++. Don't let anyone tell you a certain language is slower than another, therefore you shouldn't use it, either. Like a hammer, a language's power depends on the person wielding it. Even with the many years I have under my belt, I'm sure someone good enough at flash or java could easily write code that executes faster than the same functionality I could write with C++.

[quote name='NewYear' timestamp='1323648547' post='4892946']

If you like, flash, are comfortable with flash. Then stick with it. Why waste time fumbling with another language when you can start coding your game now with flash.

Ill ask you to once again, define what a game engine is.

That camera angle is called isometric... or is it diametric.

[/quote]

Don't get caught up on looks. Every game starts out with place holders graphics... even the professionals. In the end I would say from your posts, that Flash is the best bet. Sounds to me like any other language is just going to bog you down.

If you really wanted to look into another language, C# is a pretty fast language to code in, though I only use it sparingly. Sometimes I do like it more than C++. Don't let anyone tell you a certain language is slower than another, therefore you shouldn't use it, either. Like a hammer, a language's power depends on the person wielding it. Even with the many years I have under my belt, I'm sure someone good enough at flash or java could easily write code that executes faster than the same functionality I could write with C++.
[/quote]

I like your answer.. I might consider taking it easy and doing a 2D version with flash.. then I can get right into it like you said...

so I'll just get the game out there make it a quality game and forget about fancy graphics.. I can always release a second version if the first is liked and thus switch over the platform to a new game engine with better graphics and such

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!