• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EdvardDumansky

Finding the correct X and Y speed of object using the slope between two points

This topic is 2537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, in my 2d platformer I'd like the player to be able to use a jet pack to get around. When the space bar is pressed the player will move toward the mouse, so the two points from which the slope is calculated are the player location and the mouse location. Because it's a 2d game I need to calculate the X and Y speeds to move diagonally given a set movement speed. Below is my current implementation for this:

var_SlopeX = var_Mouse_3DPositionX - var_Character_PositionX
var_SlopeZ = var_Mouse_3DPositionZ - var_Character_PositionZ
var_Slope_TotalUnits = ABS(var_SlopeX) + ABS(var_SlopeZ)
var_Slope_SingleUnit = var_Character_MovementSpeed / var_Slope_TotalUnits
var_Character_SpeedX = var_SlopeX * var_Slope_SingleUnit
var_Character_SpeedZ = var_SlopeZ * var_Slope_SingleUnit

To clarify the code a bit, what I'm doing is finding the X and Z slope and then using it to find the total units between the player's location and the mouse's location. I then calculate how much a single unit of movement is so it can be used to find the X and Z speed. This is working fairly well except that when the mouse is either directly above, below, left or right of the character it appears to be moving faster than if it's diagonal of the character's location.

This *might* just be my brain playing tricks on me, but I'm fairly confident that's not the case. What changes, if any, would need to be made to ensure that the player is moving at an equal speed no matter where the mouse is located?

Advertisement
Change this:
var_Slope_TotalUnits = ABS(var_SlopeX) + ABS(var_SlopeZ)

to this:
var_Slope_TotalUnits = SQRT(var_SlopeX*var_SlopeX + var_SlopeZ*var_SlopeZ)

Your naming convention is highly non standard. What you call "slope" is a "vector". What you call "total units" is called "length". And "speed" refers to a single real number, but the vector quantity is called "velocity".

Wow, thanks for the quick replies; worked like a charm! Sorry about the naming convention. I guess I just chose names that made sense to me since it's just me working on the project. Probably good practice to use the standard versions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!