Java

Started by
6 comments, last by Kconcep23 12 years, 4 months ago
I have a few ideas brewing and after bouncing it off some friends, I was pointed in Java's direction. I have xp with Flash ActionScripting 2.0-3.0, but am completely new to Java. I am fully aware of the magnitude in which Java is used in day-to-day electronics and media, but don't know how to apply it.

My questions: What programs are good to start production of a Java game, and is Java similar to As 3.0? What are some of the advantages of Java game production?

Happy to be a new member of GD dot net :)
Advertisement
It's easier to make games cross-platform if you use Java than many other languages. It may be less efficient than C-languages in some instances, but that not as much of an issue as it used to be.

For "programs to start production", I'm going to assume you meant IDEs. Eclipse is a good popular IDE for java. You might want to look into LWJGL. It's a helpful set of libraries for making games in Java; Minecraft uses it.

Here is a comparison of Java and Actionscript

Good luck.
Thanks Labouts, for the reply. The link was very helpful. I can now see that Java is the rout to take for my project. Minecraft was an exelent example, I'm a regular player myself.

-Thank You

I have a few ideas brewing and after bouncing it off some friends, I was pointed in Java's direction. I have xp with Flash ActionScripting 2.0-3.0, but am completely new to Java. I am fully aware of the magnitude in which Java is used in day-to-day electronics and media, but don't know how to apply it.

My questions: What programs are good to start production of a Java game, and is Java similar to As 3.0? What are some of the advantages of Java game production?

Happy to be a new member of GD dot net :)

Welcome aboard.

I am not really sure what you mean by "programs" but this link should get you started with Java game development. It covers tools, books, libraries and such for game development. Read the entire link instead of just the Java section if you are interested in the possibility of using other languages ( not that I am saying Java is a bad idea ).

You will find syntactically, Actionscript and Java are fairly similar, but the languages are quite different in many ways too. It is somewhat similar to how French and English both have common roots, so there is a similarity there but they are still very different languages. To be a better metaphor, I should have probably used German and Dutch... Anyways, they are similar enough that you will have a headstart because of your prior knowledge, while different enough that if you go in treating Java like Active Script, you are doomed to failure. Make sense?

As to advantages, well they are kinda covered off in the link I gave, but a question like that is so subjective it no doubt leads to massively off topic language wars, as when saying "advantages" you are generally comparing to other languages... with can cause... sparks.
Thx Serapth for the link.

I think with the word "program" I was a little vague. What I have in the works is a game. I, with some colligues, have made a couple games with Flash and As. We are coming to realize is that what we want our current project to do, Flash isn't ideal for. We are fully convinced that Java is direction to take our current project in. Thank you guys for the links and you input. I hope all of Gd is as helpful as you were. Cheers!

We are coming to realize is that what we want our current project to do, Flash isn't ideal for.

Why not?
Flash seems to be out dated BY Java. We would like the versatility that java has to offer, that are (sadly) not easily availble with Flash. I recenlt read an article stating that Flash has become "unattractive" to developers due tho the misuse it's over come in the last 5 years or so. As irrelevant as that is to my interest, rather intersting. I'll post it here if I find it again.
Just an update for you guys:

We've decided to stick with As 3.0. Our decision came after comparing Java and As 3.0 side by side. We conducted a poll amungst our own programers (the few we have), and discovered there really isn't much difference. Also we took in to consideration the feedback we got here on Gd.

We also REdiscovered Steampowered as publishers. There seems to be many controvercies on how to come about doing so and not selling your soul. Steampowered and Gabe Newell seem like nice guys to work with. They seem to be gamers first and publishers/retailers second.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement