Help with Development Team and Applications Needed

Started by
6 comments, last by Serapth 12 years, 4 months ago
I know this is a pretty big request

But exactly what would be the team I would need, what would be the specialties I would request. What positions would need more than one person, the games aren't too big. Also, what programs/software are mainly used. Or can someone link me to where I can read up on this. Spent long enough on coming up with the ideas and everything in it, now I would like to actually get it going. Thanks in advance for the help
Advertisement

But exactly what would be the team I would need, what would be the specialties I would request. What positions would need more than one person, the games aren't too big. Also, what programs/software are mainly used. Or can someone link me to where I can read up on this. Spent long enough on coming up with the ideas and everything in it, now I would like to actually get it going. Thanks in advance for the help

It really depends on the game, most indie games can be completed by a 1 or 2 man team (Programmer or programmer+artist if the art requirements are high) using free or licensed sound/music.

As far as software goes it really doesn't matter, just use whatever you are comfortable with.

Also, if you don't know what you need then you're not really ready to lead a team, try joining an existing team that needs your skills instead.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

[quote name='ItsOnyx' timestamp='1323683602' post='4893054']

It really depends on the game, most indie games can be completed by a 1 or 2 man team (Programmer or programmer+artist if the art requirements are high) using free or licensed sound/music.

As far as software goes it really doesn't matter, just use whatever you are comfortable with.

Also, if you don't know what you need then you're not really ready to lead a team, try joining an existing team that needs your skills instead.
[/quote]

A game like cityville, more like Millionaire city, not much animation, but a fairly good amount of graphics/items in it.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1323684440' post='4893055']

[/quote]

A game like cityville, more like Millionaire city, not much animation, but a fairly good amount of graphics/items in it.
[/quote]

Looks fairly simple, 1 programmer should be enough to get started, add 1-2 artists as/when needed.

[quote name='ItsOnyx' timestamp='1323689121' post='4893070']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Looks fairly simple, 1 programmer should be enough to get started, add 1-2 artists as/when needed.
[/quote]

a straight answer, i love it, thanks a lot

one more thing, what language/s would be most useful in creating a cityville type of game?

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1323689833' post='4893075']
[quote name='ItsOnyx' timestamp='1323689121' post='4893070']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

a straight answer, i love it, thanks a lot

one more thing, what language/s would be most useful in creating a cityville type of game?
[/quote]

If you go webbased there really are only 4 sane options for the client:
Flash/Actionscript (This is the most common these days and has an insane installbase (Almost all PCs have Flash support, some mobiles don't though)
Unity (C#/Javascript/Boo) (Not quite as widely supported as Flash but if you want to do 3D its a bit easier, support exists to build mobile apps in the pro version)
Java (Applets, work with all PCs, might require an install on some systems, can also quite easily be converted into an App for Android, iOS, Symbian and WP7 support requires more work and possibly a language change)
HTML+Javascript , Works with all modern browsers (or ancient ones if you stick to old standards)

(Silverlight/C# is an option aswell but it looks like Microsoft is about to ditch it and it doesn't really have any advantages over Flash)

for the backend you'd normally use php, asp.net(C#/VB.Net usually) or jsp. (Of these PHP and ASP.Net are the easiest ones to find cheap hosting for, if you host the server yourself or rent a server you can control you can pick whatever you want)

In general, if you are not a programmer you shouldn't even think about the language choice, let your programmer pick whichever he is most comfortable with or thinks suits the project best. (He is the one who has to work with it), the same goes for all other tools, Only restrict tool choices if interoperability is an issue, (When it comes to art you can standardize on a widely supported format (Such as FBX for 3D models) rather than a tool)

You should let your technical director recommend and decide that. If your game is to run on Facebook, hire a technical director with Facebook experience.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

(Silverlight/C# is an option aswell but it looks like Microsoft is about to ditch it and it doesn't really have any advantages over Flash)

Wooh now. Silverlight has tons of advantages over Flash, not the least of which is C#.

They just shipped SL5; let's hope it isn't the last but I fear it may be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement