• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Standard set of images for perception studies

This topic is 2350 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there's a standard set of images that's used in studies concerning perception or congition. I've been tinkering on an alternative on-screen display method for images (it's not my idea originally, but here's some more info). The perceived quality of the technique seems to be quite subjective, so I'd like to created a batch of these images and find out what other people think. I could pull a bunch of pictures off Google, but if there's a standard set of images available, tailored to these kind of tests without any biasses, any results I get might actually be useful.

Advertisement
For doing that I would suggest just picking stuff that you actually intend to use it for.

However, an issue that is probably going to be really tricky to solve in a reasonable way for the above is that any features that become smaller than a full pixel becomes significantly and visibly discolored (RGBR, GBRG, etc are easily percieved as white, but RG, GB, R, etc, simply doesn't), aka will show up as colored lines ... just like you can see in some regions of the image in the link you provided.

It's also likely that if you use it for animation or moving images that you'll end up with a lot of visual artifacts (color popping?)... but not necessarily I guess, may again depend on what kind of features show up in the images, if there are lots of sharp contours it will probably be a singificant issue.

EDIT: Also, something I noticed myself some time ago when I was playing with this is that it seems like there's something with the RGB-pattern, either inherent or my eyes having becoming accustomed to it. Drawing a line as GBR or BRG would look kind of similar to RGB, but would look slightly discolored whereas RGB looks like pure white to me... it did not end up looking the same which is kind of what one would expect and hope for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!