• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
blackgun

how to make a UML for this game idea

This topic is 2357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had a idea about an office game. In short, the player act as a manager who can assign work , hire and fire staff. You may choose one in some projects with different work load. You need to know whether the work load fit for your team or you can't finish it on time. And you need to learn your workers has different power. More power, more work. So you should assign suitable work to every worker. Doing work will decrease worker's energy, overtime work will decrease his morale. Power, energy and morale affect the worker's efficiency. His loyalty will decrease in low morale after some time. You may do something to recover his morale. You will get promotion and more budget after you finished some projects successfully.

That is more about mechanic of the game. It is easy to add some different stories for it. I am planning it and hope it will be clear and self-consistent, but not only a story and some settings . So I am trying to make a UML diagram. I will appreciate your advice.

The following flowchart is not accurate. It just shows the basic elements.
6498690819_f254cd6b2b.jpg

Advertisement
Can you clarify your question? What's the "game idea"? Do you want to create an UML diagram? If so, which aspect do you want to visualize?

I don't see a game idea there. I can barely even figure out what you are trying to express. It almost looks like a flowchart you might use for a tiny portion of an office game simulator.

Why are you creating a UML diagram in the first place?

Yes, UML is useful in expressing designs of code from programmer to programmer. The are useful at communicating a few ideas held in final implementations, or in expressing general patterns.

So if you are writing a programming textbook, or writing a technical paper describing the pattern at a technical level, then it may be okay. But you aren't.

UML diagrams are HORRIBLE at communicating intent. They are an incredibly bad idea in a game design document. Generally it is best to allow software systems to grow naturally from the requirements.

Attempting to specify the full implementation up front comes from business requirements mostly abandoned 40 years ago. Back when computer time was much more expensive than a person's salary, it made sense. This is no longer the case.

It is far better and far cheaper these days to simply state the intent of every system in plain language, and then implement each one based on the programmer's judgment and remembering the YAGNI principle.

I believe the topic was supposed to be "I made a UML diagram for a game idea"

UML diagrams are HORRIBLE at communicating intent. They are an incredibly bad idea in a game design document. Generally it is best to allow software systems to grow naturally from the requirements.

Agreed, but I will note that I like using UML apps, along side the development process to keep track of the large picture. My uml's are basically just a list of all the headers in my code and what other headers they are associated with. Really helps me prevent spaghetti code. But the diagram is never concrete it grows an changes in response to changes in the code. I've proudly never had another circular dependency issue or other similar bugs for years now because of it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!