• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Heightfield

This topic is 2263 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As the description said, I am looking for a technique to make caves and so on in height fields. Meaning that more than one coordinate is stored on one position. I wasn´t able to find something on google.
Thank you for your replies ;)

Advertisement
It's really simple. No plain heightmap will allow you to do this. Not without some serious hair pulling at least.

I've been somewhat successful with some selective rendering to allow drilling holes (similar in concept to this) in the terrain and a set of cooperating terrain system. It would work... with some care, as edges shared across different terrain systems would be usually garbled. In the long run, the system didn't really convinced me. Perhaps some geometry shader tricks might help it, I cannot tell.
I general, I'd say voxel isosurface extraction methods appear to be more robust for that kind of application. I'd absolutely look at Eric Lenglyel's Transvoxel Algorithm.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement