• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

The big question: openGL or DirectX

This topic is 2263 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

This might be in the wrong section of the forum.. Since I have programming experience. Just not a lot of experience with Win32 , openGL & DirectX.

Now I'm going to write my own game engine with 3D Level Edtior. The only problem that I have is, I don't know what will suit the best for me openGL or DX. I know opengl is crossplatform and you can run it on consoles and directx not except for the xbox. So that's not the problem. It's the efficiency problem. I don't want a slow engine. Always when I see openGL on the internet it looks slow and crappy... (I never said that it is slow & crappy, I'm asking you..)

Since I am studying game development now I'd like to use my own models etc in my game. But I am only In my first year and I can't wait to go to the second year. cause then we have to make our own engine. But I'm always a bit ahead on programming so I wanna make one already.

Things why I should and shouldn't use DX

Should:
  • Very nice GFX
  • Most games these day use it
  • Industry standard
    Shouldn't
    • Only few tutorials available
    • Huge amount of work to get just a single window on your screen..
    • Can't find any good resources to get a good start
      Things why I should and shouldn't use openGL

Should:
      • Much tutorials for openGL 2
      • Not a huge amount of work to get a openGL 2 window on your screen
        Shouldn't
        • openGL 4 tutorials, found just one tutorial... That's not enough
        • No resources how to use it with OOP C++
          Now if I choose DX what version should I take and if I choose openGL what version should I take then?
          (And for the "huge amount of work for the window" I know it's much work, and I want to work for it. But just that simple window.. Idk..)

I know I can implement them both afterwards but I want a good basis for my engine, not a simply hobby coded engine that is crap.

Now, any advices, good resources, and pro's & contra's why to use openGL or DX.

[poll removed, please read the FAQ -- jpetrie]

Advertisement
Doesn't matter. 95+% of your engine isn't going to be interfacing with either of them, and they each end up as pretty much the same instructions on the cards anyways.

Use whichever one you find the nicest/easiest to work with, each one is capable of producing the same results.

More important than which dx/opengl is an understanding the fundamentals of graphics programming, and remember if you are going to write your own engine the graphics system is just one part of it.

Game Engine Book

Flipping a coin is honestly as good as baseline for the decision as anything else.  Longer term you should learn both, but for your first project pick whichever seems best to you.

The API is completely irrelevant as regards image quality; this will be decided by your graphics hardware.

The only really relevant pros and cons so far as I'm concerned are that OpenGL has it's cross-platform credentials whereas D3D has better drivers/tools/support.  That on it's own may be enough to swing your decision.

Doesn't matter. 95+% of your engine isn't going to be interfacing with either of them, and they each end up as pretty much the same instructions on the cards anyways.

What do you mean 95% isn't going to interface with openGL or DX? Every thing that has to be drawn got to pass openGL / DX right?

Use whichever one you find the nicest/easiest to work with, each one is capable of producing the same results.

More important than which dx/opengl is an understanding the fundamentals of graphics programming, and remember if you are going to write your own engine the graphics system is just one part of it.

Game Engine Book

Yeah, sure I know, graphics isn't the only thing. But I can only start testing the other things when I can see how it moves, falls, goes, .. Also sound, physx, shading, file parsers, much more work :D

What do you mean 95% isn't going to interface with openGL or DX? Every thing that has to be drawn got to pass openGL / DX right?

Yeah, sure I know, graphics isn't the only thing. But I can only start testing the other things when I can see how it moves, falls, goes, .. Also sound, physx, shading, file parsers, much more work :D

Sure, every object is drawn, but typically you'll write interface code so that the things that are drawn don't care whether DX or GL is used. Reference a third-party library like Irrlicht or Ogre3D. They implement interfaces to the video drivers so that the user can select DX/GL/software rendering, and the remainder of the engine code doesn't care.

This topic is 2263 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.