• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MirageUY

Unity 2D Engine for c#? Unity,ShiVa, XNA or which one. Plz help us

This topic is 2557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Me and some friend are trying to make a game, we are learning how to code in c#. We are inspired in JRPGS like FFs and legend of mana, etc. If you player FFIV on the ds or legend of mana on psx, you see that is 2d or 2.5d right?. So we want a engine to make a game in 2d like those one. We don't know if we should use Unity -or - ShiVa -or- XNA - DELTA ENGINE or others but we just know these ones :D

I want to make a jrpg like this
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PA7sXWeuwcg ----> the fights and like this
and this http://www.youtube.c...feature=related the way you can roam the world and then a monster appears start the battle at 7:20
Which pick would be te best? XNA ???

And that kinda of games is 2d right?

Advertisement
for the record, XNA isn't an engine, its a framework. Just think of it as a slightly fleshed out DX9 wrapper. Only things it handles for you are assets and rendering (Though I always right my own renderer with in it)

There's also the delta engine. Sorry for adding to the list rather than helping you narrow it down.

Ok, i added it to my list XD, another one to decide ¬¬
[size=2]

for the record, XNA isn't an engine, its a framework. Just think of it as a slightly fleshed out DX9 wrapper. Only things it handles for you are assets and rendering (Though I always right my own renderer with in it)

[size=2]Ok, tnks still a good tool to make games XD, Magicka was made with it :D

Nothing wrong with XNA, you'll just spend a long time getting up to the same point that something like Unity can get you to instantly. If you want to use XNA try Sunburn from Synapse Games. I recommend Unity though if you're going to make a pc/mac/browser game though.

Nothing wrong with XNA, you'll just spend a long time getting up to the same point that something like Unity can get you to instantly. If you want to use XNA try Sunburn from Synapse Games. I recommend Unity though if you're going to make a pc/mac/browser game though.

To pc i will put a gun to gabe newell's head and make him put it on steam XDDD

So Unity 3D will be bether than XNA, for that 2d game?

I'll go for unity 3D. But this game are all pure 3D not 2D. Unity could be a little annoying when it comes to 2D , u'll have to use the joints system to keep everything stable on 2D axis . . However you can still develop quality games for 2D like we did . One of the biggest downsides of unity is load time. especially if you develop for mobiles or web.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!