Your most memorable childhood game?

Started by
68 comments, last by Johnny Photon 12 years, 2 months ago

Soul calibur for Dreamcast

Ah, yes!!! Soul Calibur.

And Dig-Dug for the Atari 2600
Advertisement
First game I remember playing was Combat on the Atari 2600. On the C64 I would say Paradroid, Pharaos Curse, Montezumas revenge, Bubble Bobble...

First game I remember playing was Combat on the Atari 2600.

Same here... came with the system, IIRC. Wasn't memorable though. =)

Childhood:
Elite
M.U.L.E
Wizard's Crown

Teenage years:
Metroid
Super Mario 3

Battletech

College years:
MechWarrior 2
Doom
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Hands down; Baulder's Gate (and anything else from BlackIsle)!
Hello,

I have two games that had a massive impact on me as a kid. The first and quite clearly one of the best games ever, The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time. The story line, the music, the weapons and gadgets, the dungeons and the infamous bosses. Just awesome! You truly wanted to be courageous and beat that evil ganondorf and save Zelda... again! But it was really the first Zelda game I properly got into and is still one of my favourite games. I remember when I finally defeated Ganon after getting my sword back and I ran into the TV room and shouted "Mum, Mum, I've done it! I beat Ganon!" and she was genuinely really happy for me lol. Bless her! Twilight Princess came close to topping it, but the weird monsters with the big heads scared me lol. I am RUBBISH with scary games! Zelda for crying out loud! Once when my boyfriend was out with the guys, I foolishly tried to play Alan Wake... in the dark... on the massive TV... never... again!

Anyhoo, the second game is Perfect Dark on the N64. Hours and days spent with my sisters playing in the combat simulator. I love how you could pick personalities for some of the AI characters, so you had venge sim who kept coming after who ever killed him and you'd be like "awww gawd! Bloody judge sim again! LEAVE ME ALONE!" lol or judge sim who tried to keep it all equal. I think that was judge sim. The most annoying by far was peace sim, who just disarmed you and then buggered off. But if you did kill him he always had LOADS of ammo so there were plus sides to their personalities as well. Obv it was made by the same people who made Goldeneye so you had some levels from Goldeneye as well and similar cheats you could unlock. So for me it was like Goldeneye but one step up. Controversial lol. Gotta love that laptop gun!

However... I have to say... the assassins creed series has kept me enticed, although I thought that Ezio's departure could have been a bit bigger to honour the legend that he is. And Skyrim is stunning! But those two games began the wheels turning in my head about a career in games so I owe the people who made them a big thank you : D you legends, you!

Han x
>> Your most memorable childhood game?

#1. Kissing tag.... and a girl named Sabrina.
^^^ ... It was an autumn day with leaves on the playground....
#2. Other schoolyard games.
#3. M.U.L.E. for Atari 800
#4. Lode Runner on Apple ][e
#5. Larn on Apple ][e, which was also my first experience at source-diving
#6. Parsec, Car Wars, and HtW on TI-99/4A

>> what makes certain games soo memorable.

Being memorable is a well-studied psychology topic. It is a combination of repetition, attention, novelty, emotional impact, and timing with other brain activity.

As for my specific items:

#1. Little boys are unlikely to forget their first big kiss. It is big experience in terms of all those things above.

#2. Seemingly-endless days of recesses on the playground were repeated 3x daily plus after school, with a lot of emotional impact events from my best friend chipping his tooth to getting laughed at by older kids. Those formed far more memories than any individual video game.

#3. M.U.L.E. was a very social game that I spent many hours on with my friends (repetition, emotional impact, timing).

#4. Lode Runner was memorable because it coincided with several childhood life events, including around the death of my grandmother. I spent many hours playing it as a distraction from emotional pain.

#5. Larn was my first rogue-like game. For the youth or inexperienced, the Roguelike games are a great family of games where things are more permanent. You get one shot to build a character and either succeed or experience permadeath. There are many unique items (not the multiply-spawning "unique" items found in many games today) that if you do happen to encounter them in your game you need to use at the right time. Use them too early and you will regret it. Use them too late and you will wish you had timed it better. Examples are stockpiling a bunch of rare potions until late game in the hopes of getting the unique scroll of permanence that binds those effects to you permanently. I still remember looking up all the printouts of the raw map data to figure out how levels worked. LOTS of repetition, LOTS of novelty and intellectual investment.

#6 I spent way too many hours playing these games, so through sheer repetition they are remembered. Later on when my friends and I started programming our first big games (we were ages 8-12) we needed the extra memory in the Parsec cartridge: it added an amazing 32KB of memory.

Should be obvious, but all of those strongly fit the memory-forming points mentioned at the beginning. :-)
Atari 2600:
Adventure
River Raid
Stampede

Apple ][:
Loderunner
Choplifter
Starblazers
Elite
Ultima II, III, and IV
Zork II, Deadline, HGTG, etc.
Pinball Construction Kit

Arcade:
Marble Madness
Food Fight
Vanguard
Xevious
LOL final fantasy IX I loved the romace between dagger and yitan omg I remember vivi so cute!!!! and steiner trolling the scenaries and cinematics were good althought that I didnt understand english too well on that moment I just picked anything laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif so fun man old times I remember the begining where yitan meet yitan and his thieves friends I remember that dagger like seduced yitan and he followed her oh so fun and romantic until now I belive its romantic tongue.gif

501855-9garnet_super.jpg

lol when I was a kid rolleyes.gif
Age of empires II for pc which I still play.

Sky shark and double dragon II for NES

Battletoads/Double dragon for Genesis/Megadrive

Lost countless hours to these games
Honestly, there are far too many...

My first introduction to games was the NES, which I really enjoyed. At age 6, the games were fun but they never really blew me away. 2 years later, my family got a PC and I never touched the console again. I have to give the honor of most memorable game to Descent though, simply because it was my first PC game. I played it to death at the time.

I already loved the game, and then something magical happened - my school got a computer center, and the only multiplayer game there was a demo of descent 2. In that microcosm, I was a champion - not one of the best - THE best, and by a long shot too - those other kids were just learning the ropes, but I had completed both descent 1 and 2 multiple times. It was the only thing I really good at at that age, besides drawing demons. :)

There were so many other games though - initially these were Doom, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D... but the list just goes on and on..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement