• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ankhd

Is there a way in which I could alta my cheap terrain picking code to consider the terrains height at the projected mouse points with out the need to

This topic is 2502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way in which I could alta my cheap terrain picking code to consider the terrains height at the projected mouse points with out the need to lock the mesh

Hi there.
I'm trying to get the world location on the terrain based on the current mouse position with out locking the mesh.
The function below works well for when the map is flat but as soon as a unit walks up a platform the wold
position is off by heaps.

could I some how use the height map to do what I want but I will need a x , z value any way.

//code
[source]

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//this will return a x y z of the point clicked on the map in world coord
//returns 0,0,0 for no map selection
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D3DXVECTOR3 Terrain::GetMapPoint(POINT &ptCursor,//the x y screen pos you click
D3DXMATRIX *pmproj,//the projection matrix
int width,
int height)//screen width and height
{

D3DXVECTOR3 RT = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);

// Compute the vector of the pick ray in world space
//D3DXVECTOR3 v;
// Get the view matrix
D3DXMATRIX matView;
getViewMatrix(&matView);

D3D10_VIEWPORT vp;
vp.TopLeftX = 0;
vp.TopLeftY = 0;
vp.Width = width;
vp.Height = height;
vp.MinDepth = 0.0f;
vp.MaxDepth = 1.0f;

D3DXMATRIX Identityworld;
D3DXMatrixIdentity( &Identityworld );

// Put mouse coordinates in screen space
D3DXVECTOR3 mnear = D3DXVECTOR3(ptCursor.x, ptCursor.y, 0);
D3DXVECTOR3 mfar = D3DXVECTOR3(ptCursor.x, ptCursor.y, 1);
// Transform points to world space

D3DXVec3Unproject(&mnear,
&mnear,
&vp,
pmproj,
&matView,
&Identityworld);

D3DXVec3Unproject(&mfar,
&mfar,
&vp,
pmproj,
&matView,
&Identityworld);

// Find Y Intercept
D3DXVECTOR3 direction = mfar - mnear;
if (mfar.y < 0) // if your mouse ray ends below XZ Plane
{
float yFactor = -mnear.y / direction.y;
RT = mnear + direction * yFactor; // zeroWorldPoint.X and zeroWorldPoint.Z contain XZ Plane Intercept
}

//I could now maybe some how use the heigh map to get the height value ????? but where do I get the run from to project the height

}

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
[/source]

Advertisement
Not sure how feasible this is, but have you considered somehow moving along the pick ray until you either meet the terrain or leave the map (I think this would work since you already know the mouse location in world co-ordinates)

On a unrelated note, you should probably use a more consise thread title.

It looks like moving along the ray is the way to go.

this is what I have so far I start at the end of the ray.

float heighmapheight = 0.0f;
heighmapheight = getHeight(RT.x, RT.z);

//RT.y = heighmapheight;
D3DXVec3Normalize(&direction, &direction);
while(RT.y - heighmapheight < 10)
{
RT -= direction * 40;//step size may be smaller or larger not sure works so far set to this value
heighmapheight = getHeight(RT.x, RT.z);
}

Does this code snipt look right or should I try a different way. Or should I start at the start and work my way to the ground I'll try this now.

Well, if RT begins on the same side of the terrain as the mouse is, I don't see any problems with the form of that code snippet. For the step size, you should probably have it considerably smaller than the heightfield tile size so that your code doesn't skip past the terrain (as could happen if your step size is too large and you try to click on a ridge, but you get a point behind the ridge instead)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!