• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
barney1

Checkers game - 2D images or 3D models?

This topic is 2527 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello gamedev experts,

I am planning on creating a mobile checkers game. Currently I have some code laid down for making my game with 2D images rather than with 3D models. However, for animations of the checkers pieces flipping, I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle of having multiple images of the checkers piece from different angles. Would I be better off doing 3D models in this case? If so, where would I be able to find some free ones? Or, if I do stick with 2D, how hard would it be to have a fluid animation? Are there any tricks I could use besides having a bunch of images?

Thanks for the help

Advertisement

Hello gamedev experts,

I am planning on creating a mobile checkers game. Currently I have some code laid down for making my game with 2D images rather than with 3D models. However, for animations of the checkers pieces flipping, I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle of having multiple images of the checkers piece from different angles. Would I be better off doing 3D models in this case? If so, where would I be able to find some free ones? Or, if I do stick with 2D, how hard would it be to have a fluid animation? Are there any tricks I could use besides having a bunch of images?

Thanks for the help

If its not too much hassle, the benefits of going 3D would be huge, you could rotate the board, perspective, shadows...

Dirty hack : just scale the checker piece on one axis to become smaller. Circle->Oval->Line->Oval->Mirrored Circle. It's a dirty hack, but you might get away with it.

Dirty hack : just scale the checker piece on one axis to become smaller. Circle->Oval->Line->Oval->Mirrored Circle. It's a dirty hack, but you might get away with it.

Wow, thanks! That is a very useful tip, I'll be sure to look for more hacks like this on here!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!