• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
UberAllen17

Unity Learning Where to Start

This topic is 2430 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm an artsy kind of guy and I'm attending a community college for game and simulation design, but I want to get started learning programming NOW because I have a ton of prerequisites to cover before getting to the good stuff. Any suggestions on where to look on the web and what type of programming I should start out with? I'd like to make a tiny little game on my own to begin. Should I start learning XNA, Flash, C++.... Where should I start?

(also, I recently started playing with some real cheesy animation, just to get an understanding on how they work. just thought I emphasize that I'm covered when it comes to art)

-Allen
afliii.info

Advertisement
Can't beat Unity for learning the basics and getting something up & running quickly (also learning the c# language).
I know a few artists who use and love Unity as a bridge to 'proper' programming.

Flash and unity are probably the easiest around. You can use Javascript to develop on unity. Both of them got a big community and lots of free demos and tutorials

With little background in the programming world, I'd recommend starting with something like Unity. It does offer scripting options using Javascript-like notation. This is great because it gives you some simple exposure to a language which you can find abundances of examples on the net. The syntax you see in C++/C# isn't identical, but there are a number of traits that are shared amongst the three languages which does help with you decide to take the next leap and dive into something a bit deeper in context.

I've taken all of your advice! I'm learning Unity through tutorials and two books I downloaded to my iPad, "Unity Game Development Essentials" and "Unity 3D Game Development by Example." Both are proving very informational. Thanks for the advice. It looks like Unity is exactly what I need right now.

afliii.info
@afliii -twitter
facebook.com/afliii

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!