MD6 Ready or Not?

Started by
2 comments, last by beebs1 12 years, 4 months ago
Is md6 ready for use? Is it a stable hash to the point where it wont change?
Advertisement
MD6 was withdrawn from the SHA3 competition by it's designers in 2009.

What is the application, and why do you want to use MD6?
Im looking to index alot of files of all sizes and I hear md6 is really fast I am concerned about collisions but not much. I know they withdrew from sha3 but they have md5 and thats not sha anything so I dont know if the competition is of much importance. My main thing is is it final?

Im looking to index alot of files of all sizes and I hear md6 is really fast I am concerned about collisions but not much. I know they withdrew from sha3 but they have md5 and thats not sha anything so I dont know if the competition is of much importance. My main thing is is it final?

If you're not worried about it's security properties or conforming to a meaningful standard, then just take it as it is and use it anyway. If it changes it may not matter in your case.

Is your software interfacing with another system which requires a 'correct' MD6 implementation?

[Edit]

If you're indexing files, any cryptographic hash since (and including) SHA1 will be fine. Collisions for some algorithms exist, but you have to try extremely hard to find them. You're unlikely to stumble across one while hashing filenames or such... You could use CRC32, which is faster than MD6.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement