• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spinningcube

Threading different on Intel Xeon versus i7 ?

This topic is 2355 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, So I wrote this program to be multi-threaded and it runs fine on many laptops, desktops etc... with different flavors of Windows. I use pthreads and somehow windows always is able to distribute it on the number of cores available, 8 on a 4 core HT machine etc... So I take this to an Intel dual Xeon based still Windows 64 bit flavor system, where each Xeon is a 6 core HT monster, so in theory it should run on the 24 cores available. I fire up the application and it runs not only just on one of the Xeons but only in one of the cores. What gives? Pablo

Edited by jbadams
Restored post contents from history.

Advertisement

It's user driven, so I just do that from the GUI dynamically. Meaning I set it to use 8 threads or X threads manually. Pablo

Edited by jbadams

Is this running a Windows Server OS? Server OSs are set to focus on "Background Tasks" as opposed to Programs by default. That could be the issue.

Thanks for all the replies. I check the utilization by seeing how much is running on the different cores in the Task Manager->Performance. I only see one of the cores going green to 100%, and nothing or very little on the others. The program is not running smoothly so it's not definitely using all the processing power it needs. Might be a server OS since it's Xeons, might be the cause then. Ah cool Affinity shows how many cores it can run on. Looks like a good option. Will tell you how it goes! Many thanks, Pablo

Edited by jbadams

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!