• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Looking for terminology and ideas for the following vector style.

This topic is 2350 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking to produce graphics similar to that of the following:

PJSideScroller2.jpg

What terminology should I be looking for to find references on this particular style?

My initial thought of "retro vector art" doesn't return this particular style on Google.

I can see that the Bloom technique has been used. Has High Dynamic Rendering been used also?

I can see that the screen has been given a fishbowl effect, along with thick scanlines; I am not interested in that as much as the graphics themselves.

This screenshot also shows what I would like to achieve (without the effects)

1634114-6554c51e_1949_467a_85b3_26de889ea934_super.png

Any thoughts on where to begin for drawing the basic "sprites?" would also be welcome. Would I be best using a vector art program or sticking with pixels?

Advertisement
Look for "Vector Monitor", the display used in vector-graphics arcade machines. You don't need HDR to have that look; in my opinion you can get this by doing a high-pass render-to-texture, blurring the texture and then adding over the original.
Also note the first screenshot has every other line of the bloom modulated to give a rasterized, interlaced look. Zoom in to see it more clearly.

I don't think "vector art" is a good term for searching (even with the "retro" or "arcade" words), because it also encapsulates anything modern that was produced with Corel Draw and InkScape (logos, clipart etc.).

http://en.wikipedia....or_arcade_games

Note how the bloom in the second screenshot is completely faked and baked into sprites, not created in the framebuffer:
  • round blobs around the corners of the squares that scale with the square instead of remaining constant, and nothing along the equally bright edges
  • mismatched halos between the conical and straight sections of the blue beam
  • the smaller particles are very bright and opaque, but they have no bloomingI'm not saying it looks good, of course.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Note how the bloom in the second screenshot is completely faked and baked into sprites, not created in the framebuffer:
[color=#1C2837][size=2][/quote]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]That's a good eye you have there, thank you.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]I'm still at a loss as to the best way to draw the original sprites before bloom processing, etc. My guess would be that simple shapes of 3-4 pixels in thickness would do it? The post processing should then eliminate aliasing and make the pixels more vector beam like?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!