• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
markmiles

Social Gaming Network Development Needed ( i.e - OpenFeint )

This topic is 2440 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,
I am looking to develop a type of social gaming network ( i.e - OpenFeint ), and need advice / recommendations in terms of development companies who would be able to handle such a project. I have spoken to several top tier game development companies which turned down the project due to it not being their "core competency" ( actual games ). So any leads and recommendations for companies that can handle the development of such a project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

All the best,
Mark

Advertisement

I am looking to develop a type of social gaming network ( i.e - OpenFeint ), and need advice / recommendations in terms of development companies who would be able to handle such a project. I have spoken to several top tier game development companies which turned down the project due to it not being their "core competency" ( actual games ). So any leads and recommendations for companies that can handle the development of such a project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I think the main problem for you is that any company that knows how to build large social networks, is building a large social network, and not interested in contracting for someone else.

What is your budget?<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

The way these networks are generally built, is for some founders to get together, and start a small kernel of the intended service. Typically, this is a business/money guy and a technical guy, and they are referred to as co-founders. Once the "kernel" is up and limping, the founders start looking for capital so that they can start scaling up the business. This generally comes from a variety of sources: original founders, friends and family, new co-founders, venture capitalists, or if you're lucky, boot-strapping off revenue from the original service.

If you want to hire a company that *can* build one of these systems, you'll end up with one of the large contracting houses, such as Accenture, IBM, etc. There, you will pay hundreds of dollars per hour per head, and they will use lots of heads to get anything up and running.
Another option might be to look into companies that already have one of the pieces -- be it online payments, or pre-paid cards, or peer-to-peer messaging, or whatever else you need, and then partner with/join that company to extend their business, or buy that company to acquire the talent you need.

Also, a disclaimer: I am part of IMVU.com, which has built a large, game-like social network over the last several years.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!