• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3DModelerMan

Calling C++ code from C#

This topic is 2350 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to write my game editor in C#, the problem is, my engine is written in C++. I know that you can call DLL functions from your C++ engine, and I know how. Is there a better way? Some way that allows calling C++ classes from C#? SWIG wraps C++ code to C#, but what do I need to do to call the generated wrappers?

Advertisement
If you write a C++/CLI wrapper project, that project can #include and link in "plain" C++ code, and will result in a .Net DLL, with classes and everything. You will need to create "gc class" wrappers for the native C++ classes that you want to use from C#. The end result is very convenient, but sometimes wrapping the native C++ class inside a C++/CLI wrapper can be pretty tricky.

I usually use this approach, but I've only done this for non-game projects so far.

I've never used SWIG, so I don't know if it automates this or takes a different approach.

If you write a C++/CLI wrapper project, that project can #include and link in "plain" C++ code, and will result in a .Net DLL, with classes and everything. You will need to create "gc class" wrappers for the native C++ classes that you want to use from C#. The end result is very convenient, but sometimes wrapping the native C++ class inside a C++/CLI wrapper can be pretty tricky.

I usually use this approach, but I've only done this for non-game projects so far.

I've never used SWIG, so I don't know if it automates this or takes a different approach.

This is exactly the way most tool pipelines, that need some major part of a C++ engine to run interface with it. The C++/CLI wrapper will handle all of the marshaling of data for you, in either direction. The wrapper classes will be visible to the C# app and all of the C++ is visible to the native code.

Be careful however that when you define a ref class you cannot allocate native memory as C# is able to interact with this class.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!