• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Haytil

.NET Framework in Windows SDK

This topic is 2439 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

A cooked hard drive in my laptop necessitated a replacement, so I'm re-installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (for C++) and the Windows and DirectX SDKs.

I noticed that the Windows 7 SDK automatically includes .NET Framework libraries, documentation, code snippets, etc. But I can decide not to install those if I wish. It saves me 2 GB hard drive space - which is a small fraction, but not insignificant of my total hard drive size. More importantly, I'm on a slow connection, so keeping it will add quite a bit of time to my download and installation time.

Is it necessary to include the .NET framework stuff, or can I forgo those components? I never recall having to install it before.

My development is primarily Windows programs (basic stuff, so I need the Win32 API) for Windows XP and Windows 7, as well as Windows game development - specifically including DirectX 9 graphics, DirectInput, DirectSound, and WinSock.

Thanks.

Advertisement
The .net stuff is very useful in modern Windows application development.Furthermore, some APIs (like WPF and WCF) are only exposed as managed interfaces. If you can afford it space-wise, I would recommend installing the bits even though you wouldn't have immediate use for them.

Depending on where you live, you can ask a local Microsoft office to provide a disk for you that contains the SDK. Or ask a friend on a fast connection to burn the SDK image for you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!