• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Savovs

How do I do this?

This topic is 2530 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys! I'm just starting out in game dev as a whole,I'm not a programmer or an artist I just have basic understanding and experience with them. I want to learn how to create gorgeous effects like these
? I'm trying to find out how to create good looking visuals and still can't find a way to learn... Please help.

Advertisement
Those effects are achieved with particles, which are much simpler than you'd think, looking at the video.
Download Unity or UDK and play around with the particle editors

The correct answer is 'Blizzard has a really, really absurdly good art team' as there's nothing super-super technical going on. You can achieve a very similar effect by drawing a little fire dragon mesh like that with additive blending and perhaps some basic shader black magic for coloration. The lightning arcs and little fire bits appear to be made using flipbook textures (the Unity/UDK resources linked above should have some more on that, it's mostly some very basic addition and multiplication applied to where to 'look' to read color data from a texture. If not, Google it and you should get like ten skillion hits) and other than that it's really all in the texture quality.

From a 'how do I do any of this' standpoint, have a gander at oriented and view-facing billboarding, which should get you some of the basics. An understanding of matrix math would be very, very helpful for understanding why things are laid out in the way they are. That obviously won't handle some of the more 'boring' mesh stuff, but hopefully you'll already have some exposure to drawing that sort of thing.

EDIT: Rereading my post a bit, I think some bits came off overly technical for a total, start-from-scratch newcomer-- if I'm being a little too opaque feel free to ask for clarification.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!