iPad strategy/sim that isn't FarmVille

Started by
7 comments, last by sunandshadow 12 years, 4 months ago
I am tired of hunting through iPad games and only finding stupid FarmVille clones. Any recommendations for a good single player strategy/sim sort of game?

Something like classic sim city, tropico, railroad tycoon would be great. Any sort of tactical RPG would be great too. I want a game where I can play 5-10 minutes (or as much time as I have) and then come back later, not be forced to play 15 seconds once a day to keep my glorified tamagochi watered.
Advertisement
Try The Timebuilders: Pyramid Rising and The Timebuilders: Caveman's Prophecy , it's a strategy/time management game series I enjoyed recently. I played it on windows but it's available for ipad.

I'm not sure if you'd consider Ranch Rush or Plants vs. Zombies strategy games, but they are both really good games available on ipad.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

PvZ is strategy enough. Frankly anything good I'll look at.
Did you play World of Goo yet? Gemini Lost is decent if you like games which are more like controlling a population of Sims to accomplish puzzle objectives. The Virtual Villagers is a similar series, and I enjoyed Plant Tycoon and Fish Tycoon by the same publisher but that's a plant breeding sim, not sure if it's up your alley. I'm currently playing Pocket Frogs (on Android, but it's originally for iphone/ipad and plusplus) which is the same kind of game, though less complex than the two Tycoon games.

Nothing else I've played recently that was both good and available on ipad.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

http://itunes.apple....d455219788?mt=8 (Majesty)

(Great game on the PC atleast and i think it should transition really well given the indirect unit control system it has)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
+1 for PvZ and Timebuilders those are awesome casual strategy games!
I will shamelessly recommend my game since it fits the description :)

Fast paced medieval strategy www.lordsgame.com (not sure about iPad but since it works under all browsers I came across so far I assume you can play it on iPad too).
- designed for people who don't have much time to play, 5-15 minutes a day is enough to play competetively (althrough some players will strongly disagree), one of my primary design goals was to cut the micromanagement to minimum
- easy to learn, hard to master (but take the "easy" part with a bit of scepticism, it is not exactly the most casual game); the basic are simple but the optimal patch of technologies, buildings and specializations to take is tricky
- allows multiple winning strategies (when I check various stats/assets of the players who are on the top I see that their setups differ greatly)
- unfortunatelly, the gfx and visuals sux :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Try The Timebuilders: Pyramid Rising and The Timebuilders: Caveman's Prophecy , it's a strategy/time management game series I enjoyed recently. I played it on windows but it's available for ipad.

Maybe I'm just not far enough in (~8 scenarios) but there doesn't seem to be much strategy here. They seem more like puzzlers. To be clear, I don't necessarily need to finish a game in 5-15 mins.

[quote name='sunandshadow' timestamp='1324002605' post='4894375']

Maybe I'm just not far enough in (~8 scenarios) but there doesn't seem to be much strategy here. They seem more like puzzlers. To be clear, I don't necessarily need to finish a game in 5-15 mins.
[/quote]
Well, I see strategy and puzzle-solving as basically the same thing, but it's also true that you're not far enough in yet. The ports, markets, smokers, and second mount option are the main things that make the play start to get complex and strategic. There are 40 regular missions and some bonus ones; I think I started needing to retry missions around the halfway point. The 40th and bonus ones I mostly had to do several times, experimenting with different strategies. The game is pretty much as close as you can get to and RTS without combat, and RTSes are named after the strategy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement