Critique My Sprites

Started by
12 comments, last by L. Spiro 12 years, 3 months ago
For my current project, I decided to attempt to make all of the art and audio assets myself despite having no experience in producing either. I just finished the first version of the sprite sheet for the player (a mage). I like them, but I'm biased; I'd like to get outside options on this sheet.

Each column is a state. In order, they are: Idle, Walking, Jumping, Hurt, Dieing, Target Cast, Area Cast, and Self Cast. The casting will be accompanied by visual effects.
Player.png
Advertisement
Imho the tunic is a bit "flat", you had better increase dark areas, which add more "depth" effect. About animations, if you could post an animated image (like a gif) it would be easier to evaluate them.

[ About me ]

Thanks, I did some color changes to try to make it less flat and deleted two frames from the walking. Here's the sheet and the animations as gifs

Player.png
1.Walk 2.Jump 3.Hurt 4.Die 5.Target Cast 6.Area Cast 7.Self Cast

Walk.gif . Jump.gif . Hurt.gif . Die.gif . TargetCast.gif . AreaCast.gif . SelfCast.gif
The colors are not what make it look flat, it is the lack of colors that make it look flat.
Where is all the shading?
You need midtones, shadows, and highlights.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

It is just my opinion, but I like your animations. :)

[ About me ]

First of all... Yaio, seriously, that's the name you choose?

This is my opinion, or atleast what they look like to me. Also the flatness doesn't bother me too much, looks like old school nes graphics.

You're walk animation looks like he's just pleasuring himself.

You're jump animation looks like he's dancing

You're hurt animation looks like more dancing, or is he fist pumping.

You're die animation looks like he's growing a ginger mustache, and punching the ground out of anger for growing a mustache.

You're cast animation looks like he's trying to hand over something, and the eye changing just looks weird.

Your area cast looks like he's pondering, about the fact his eye is still bugging out.

The self cast looks like he's regrowing his arms.

Why are the eyes bugging out in all the animations?
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.

Why?

[ About me ]

Thanks, I did some color changes to try to make it less flat and deleted two frames from the walking. Here's the sheet and the animations as gifs

Player.png
1.Walk 2.Jump 3.Hurt 4.Die 5.Target Cast 6.Area Cast 7.Self Cast

Walk.gif . Jump.gif . Hurt.gif . Die.gif . TargetCast.gif . AreaCast.gif . SelfCast.gif

You really want an honest critique? The walk has two frames and the only thing I can remotely visualise him/it doing is either starting to undo a belt or something unmentionable, the jump looks like some strange irish dancing, the hurt looks like he's getting down to some hip hop, the die looks like he's found a fiver on the floor, the target cast is the only one which remotely looks like he's doing what he's suppose to, the area cast looks like he's picking his nose and the self cast looks like he's untangling fishing line.

With respect and joking aside, I would ask someone else who's artistic to do your graphics...

;) you asked for a critique...!

And before any of you say "you do better"... I did all the graphics and animation for a game I wrote back in 1994 - http://www.classicam...nt/view/855/96/ (screenshot link)

Wow, and someone's even put a link on youtube of it!

[quote name='freeworld' timestamp='1324117942' post='4894735']

Why?
[/quote]
Ah ok, I changed it, thank you.

[ About me ]

the mage sprites are fine, games often have the graphics a little naive and its fine, remember the old arcade was chockas full of naive art and it gave it all its loveable quality, sure the guy with the kerate game maybe a little more experienced than you, but i say maybe it would be fine, just make the game, dont worry about it. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement