Critique My Sprites

Started by
12 comments, last by L. Spiro 12 years, 4 months ago
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The main things I gathered:

I should experiment with adding a few more colors.
The eye animations don't convey the "magical trance" idea as well as I thought they did, though having flashy effects around them might help.
The die animation might need some blood on areas other than the mouth so it can't be easily mistaken for a mustache.
Hurt could use another frame or two.
I should redo the walking from scratch and have more frames for it.
The jumping might look better in-game when he's holding the third frame longer while airborne, but still needs work to look like jumping.

I know they're below average, but I want to make an honest effort to learn how to do it myself. I'm hoping that I can get proficient enough to make at least "decent" quality sprites. Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
I think you just need to add a couple more shades of darker blue instead of the black for the shadowed areas of the robe.

Here's a couple of tips you might want to try.

1) stand in front of the mirror and do the actions you're trying to convey in your animations - even better, record them on a phone camera or something. Decide how many frames you want and then choose the frames to draw from your own movements.

2) Put a blanket over yourself, or a robe or dressing gown and walk, cast spells or jump in the mirror and see how the fabric moves and where the shadows are. Use darker shades for the folds.

3) google or YouTube for videos of wizards, etc to see how they move and copy it.

You really want a similar feel for all your graphics, no matter how simple the game is. If you have any other graphics which use nice shades for shadowing, your blue Mage won't work and will look out of place. So if you're keeping things simple, go for something like (for all characters/monsters):

2 shades for skin
2 or 3 shades for each part of the clothing
Avoid bold colours and black - avoid black altogether unless someone is wearing a black belt for example.

Hope that helps, keep us posted on your progress - all joking aside from above, this is really fun and extremely satisfying when you get it looking good.

Good luck

I know they're below average, but I want to make an honest effort to learn how to do it myself. I'm hoping that I can get proficient enough to make at least "decent" quality sprites. Thanks for the help!

Art is just one of those things were you just have to jump into it, to learn it. (trust me I'm no expert even after 20 years, cloth still gets me everytime), Something that helped me out in the beginning was copying other peoples work and people watching. Literally looking at something someone else drew, and trying to copy it myself... not trace it, or watching how people walk around in a park... how do they're arms hang, how fast do they kick their feet forward while walking. I would sugget looking up on youtube videos of other games animations and see how they did it, then try to copy it as a skeleton. Once you've got the skeleton (stick figure) down, start hanging clothes off it.

Practice makes perfect,
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
If you are serious about improving your art, you may want to consider making a profile on deviantArt.

I have an account there, though I removed my game art to make my profile more focused on realism.
Sean Galloway has an account there.
Game artist gueuzav of the game Wakfu is there.

And many other very talented artists.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement