Adobe AIR

Started by
3 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 12 years, 4 months ago
Hi all,

Since adobe has announced the donation of its flex flamework and increased the mobile library and framework development, primary with Adobe AIR, I have decided to investigate a bit ;)

Have test some IDEs:
  • Eclipse with FB plugin
  • Flash develop
  • Flash builder

And one of the researches is to ask this forum ;)

Do anyone of you believe on AIr + Stage3D for the future of the mobile crossplatform development?

If yes, did you have any useful resource for people like me to start -> continue and grow up?

Thanks you in advance!
---

out of topic and only as extra info, I'm senior software developer in C and C++, 4 years of programming experience in Java and 2 years in Flex.
Advertisement

Since adobe has announced the donation of its flex flamework

By 'donation', you do mean 'has abandoned all further development', right?

Adobe open-sourcing flex is a convenient way to say 'we don't see a future in this'. While they will still allocate a few engineers to work on open-source development of Flex, they are handing control of the direction of the project over to the Apache foundation, which indicates that Adobe doesn't have a place in their strategic plan for flex, going forward.

Taken together with the killing-off of mobile and embedded Flash, and Adobe's sudden and heavy investment into HTML 5, it's hard not to paint a dismal picture for the future of flash in general...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Well I figured that Flash is going to be a HTML 5 converter of sorts. You program your game/app in Flash and then it converts to HTML 5. Or am I wrong?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Well I figured that Flash is going to be a HTML 5 converter of sorts. You program your game/app in Flash and then it converts to HTML 5. Or am I wrong?

That's a possibility - Adobe demoed just such a conversion tool a while back, but it is limited to just animation.

Based on the beta release of Edge, though, it's starting to look a little like the Flash IDE might be canned in favour of a brand new HTML 5-oriented IDE.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

So basically Edge is the successor to Flash. Adobe will just make all the Flash developers move to Edge. Plus I don't think the API is radically changing, only because you want as big a migration as possible.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

So basically Edge is the successor to Flash. Adobe will just make all the Flash developers move to Edge. Plus I don't think the API is radically changing, only because you want as big a migration as possible.

Edge is just an html5 animation tool.
Adobe AIR is something else, the set of tools, extensions and time put in such a cross platform SDK would never let adobe abandon it.
Adobe AIR can be used to develop Desktop applications (PC/Mac) and Mobile (iOS/Android/Blackberry Playbook).
The AIR SDK is being constantly updated (3.2 beta).
the release of stage3D makes adobe AIR a real competitor in the cross platform market and I am waiting the availability of stage3D on mobile devices (AIR for iOS/ AIR for Android).
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/stage3d.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement